Higher Diploma in Science in Networking and System Administration (Part-Time)
This is a two-year part-time conversion programme (funded by Springboard+) which is suitable for graduates with a software background who wish to gain knowledge on the Systems and Networking side for the design, deployment and support of on-premise and cloud solutions. It is also suitable for those already employed in the IT sector who increasing find they need to understand the systems and networks they are interacting with - whether on-premise or in the cloud. This programme aims to provide participants with acquired knowledge of network management, administration and design. Graduates will also have advanced knowledge of System Services and will be able to design, implement, manage and troubleshoot typical System Services in a heterogeneous environment.
Important notice about this course
THIS IS A SPRINGBOARD+ FUNDED COURSE.
- Course subject to final validation approval.
- This HDip in Science in Netowrking & System Administrations is also offered as a 1-year full-time delivery mode. For more information about how to apply as a full-time student please click here.
If you are unemployed and in receipt of a jobseekers payment (including Farm Assist and Qualified Adults ofWorking Age) you are NOT eligible for two-year ICT Conversion courses.
You can find more information on Springboard+ by clicking here.
This is a two-year part-time conversion programme suitable for graduates with a software background who wish to gain knowledge on the Systems and Networking side for the design, deployment and support of on-premise and cloud solutions. It is also suitable for those already employed in the IT sector who increasing find they need to understand the systems and networks they are interacting with - whether on-premise or in the cloud. This programme aims to provide participants with acquired knowledge of network management, administration and design. Graduates will also have advanced knowledge of System Services and will be able to design, implement, manage and troubleshoot typical System Services in a heterogeneous environment.
At the end of the course the students will have an in-depth understanding of networking and systems protocols and the skills to configure, troubleshoot and maintain both. This course will also build on the students existing software skills and apply them to the networking and systems environment. Following from this the students will then be able to migrate these systems to the cloud if required.
Please note: This programme is funded for eligible applicants via Springboard+.
Indicative Modules (subject to validation):
- Networking (5 credits) - This module covers the building blocks of networks, including LAN transmission protocols & switches.
- Operating System Administration and Management (10 credits) - Covers administration & management of server operating systems in Linux and Windows environments.
- Network Protocols (5 credits) - The main protocols considered in this module include IP, UDP, TCP, DHCP, DNS, SMTP, Telnet and SSH.
- Programmable Networks (10 credits) - This module will cover the latest technologies and practices used in Software Defined Networking.
- Management & Security (5 credits) - Builds an understanding of network management protocols, applications & practices.
- Virtualization (5 credits) - Learn to plan, design and automate the provision of a virtualised solutions.
- Infrastructure Services (5 credits) - Introduces the main infrastructure services in use in a computer network - load balancing & security.
- Cloud Technologies (5 credits) - This module will cover Cloud Terminology, Technologies and Cloud Providers.
- Routing and Switching (10 credits) - Understand key networking technologies & be ability to configure/support LAN & WAN.
- Work Portfolio (15 credits) - Learners demonstrate their work experience through a portfolio /complete an industry-focused project.
This course is delivered using a blended learning approach with weekly interactive and hands-on practical lab-based sessions supported by independent and online learning.
Please note that these arrangements may be subject to changes due to the Covid-19 situation.
On the successful completion of this Higher Diploma, students who obtain Second Class Honours, or higher, will be eligible to be considered for entry to an MSc in Computing programme (taught or research).
€750 (Springboard Supported) payable by 28th February 2021
The standard minimum entry requirements for admission to the Higher Diploma in Science in Networking and Systems are:
- a level 8 qualification in Computing (or cognisant areas)
- a level 8 STEM qualification with two or more year's experience in the IT sector
Applicants with a level 7 qualification and extensive experience in the IT sector will also be considered. Where appropriate applicants will be invited for an interview. Prior basic knowledge of Networking and Systems will be essential.
Applicants who do not meet the academic entry requirements but have significant relevant experience may apply to access this programme under the Institute’s Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) policy. This allows for the recognition of both formal and informal learning, non-accredited personal, professional education and work-based learning.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL): Dundalk Institute of Technology recognises that knowledge, skills and competencies can be acquired from a range of learning experiences, including formal, non-formal and informal. This is in line with the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) goals, which aim to recognise all learning achievements by supporting the development of alternative pathways to qualifications (or awards) and by facilitating the recognition of prior learning. The RPL policy applies to the admission process for a programme and to module exemptions.
Dr Philip McGuinness (Department of Computing Science & Mathematics, DkIT)
|School||School of Informatics & Creative Arts|
|Department||Computing Science and Mathematics|
|Awarding Body||Dundalk Institute of Technology|
|Fees||€750 (Springboard Supported)|
|Starting Date||Monday 25th January 2021|
How to Apply
Click on the button below to apply via the Springboard+ courses website.
Please ensure to upload copies of your certified education.
If you have any questions about applying for this course, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org