BB in Business and Technology
This Level 7 Degree aims to help students enhance their IT skills and apply them directly to an office or business setting. Graduates of tis course will be prepared for a career in the high tech office environment of today, through a combination of business education and IT skills. The programme – in addition to covering business and management modules – will also cover modules that will prepare graduates for work in office administration, sales support, IT systems, IT support and web design.
The Bachelor of Business in Business and Technology consists of a combination of Business and Technology based modules. Allowing our students and graduates to be office ready with technical skills and having relevant business knowledge.
Students on this course will be equipped with highly sought-after programming skills which will allow them to stand out from other business graduates. Students also have the opportunity to Study Abroad or complete a Work Placement during their third year of study.
- Technology and Office Applications 1
- Research and Communications
- Creativity for Innovation
- Electives: French 1 // Spanish 1 // English 1 // Chinese 1 // Intercultural Studies 1 // Tourism 1 // German 1
- Work Place Communications
- Technology and Office Applications 2
- Image Editing
- Financial Accounting
- Electives: French 2 // Spanish 2 // English 2 // Chinese 2 // Intercultural Studies 2 // Tourism 2 // German 2
- Business Information Systems
- Fundamental & Principles of Law
- Management Studies Economics (year-long)
- Electives: French 3 // Spanish 3 // English 3 // Chinese 3 // Intercultural Studies 3 // Tourism 3 // German 3
- Web Development
- Programming Fundamentals
- Legal Accountability and Compliance
- Electives: French 4 // Spanish 4 // English 4 // Chinese 4 // Intercultural Studies 4 // Tourism 4 // German 4
- Media Publishing
- Financial Management
- Human Resources
- Programming for Data Analytics
- The Resilient Graduate
- Electives: Spanish 5 // English 5 // Chinese 5 // Intercultural Studies 5 // Tourism 5 // French 5 // German 5
Semester 2 **
- Work Placement (Optional)
- Erasmus (Optional)
- Enterprise Development Project
- Operations Management
- Technology Implementation and Strategy Project
- Electives: French 6 // Spanish 6 // English 6 // Chinese 6 // Intercultural Studies 6 // Tourism 6 // German 6
** Students have the option to complete a work placement, study abroad with Erasmus, or continue with Year 3 modules as listed above.
* All module titles are subject to change and are for indicative purposes only. The provision of electives each year is subject to numbers enrolling on each elective and available resources.
Modern organisations are increasingly reliant on the effective use of information systems to manage their businesses. As a result today’s employers are actively seeking to recruit graduates that have strong familiarity with and expertise in the IT area.
Graduates from this course will be very attractive to such organisations. Graduates of this course have a wide variety of career opportunities, including but not limited to office administration, sales support, IT systems, IT support, web design, media publishing, database developers.
Graduates of the BB in Business & Technology who have achieved a G.P.A. of 50% or above can progress on to a relevant Level 8 Add-On course in the following areas:
- Bachelor of Business (Hons) in Business Studies (Add-On)
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Public Relations (Add-On)
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Global Marketing (Add-On)
- Bachelor of Business (Hons) in Digital & International Business (Add-On)
Please find information on fees and funding here: www.dkit.ie/fees.
Leaving Certificate Entry Requirements:
Six Grades at O6 or H7 in Leaving Certificate
→ INCLUDING At least one H5 Grade, OR Minimum Points Score of 200
→ AND Mathematics Grade F2, O6 or H7
→ AND English Grade O6 or H7 OR Irish Grade O6 or H7
Northern Ireland/UK Entry Requirements:
Applicants must meet the matriculation requirement of 5 different subjects which must include:
→ Mathematics at GCSE (Grade A* - C or better)
→ English (or Irish) at GCSE (Grade A* - C or better)
→ One subject at:
- 'A Level’ (Grade A* - E or better)
- OR Applied A-Level (Grade A* - E)
- OR BTEC National Level 3 (National Award, Subsidiary Diploma, Extended Certificate, 90-Credit Diploma, Foundation Diploma, Diploma or Extended Diploma) (Pass, Merit or Distinction).
- OR OCR Cambridge Technical Level 3 (Introductory Diploma, Extended Certificate, Subsidiary Diploma, Foundation Diploma, 90-Credit Diploma, Diploma or Extended Diploma) (Pass, Merit or Distinction).
→ The remaining subjects must be different from those listed above and may be drawn from recognised subjects at:
- GCSE (Grade A* - C)
- AND/OR 'AS Level’ (Grades A - E)
- AND/OR ‘A-level’ (Grades A* - E)
- AND/OR Applied ‘A-level’ (Grade A* - E)
- AND/OR BTEC National Level 3 (National Award, Subsidiary Diploma, Extended Certificate, 90-Credit Diploma, Foundation Diploma, Diploma or Extended Diploma*) (Pass, Merit or Distinction).
- AND/OR OCR Cambridge Technical Level 3 (Introductory Diploma, Extended Certificate, Subsidiary Diploma, Foundation Diploma, 90-Credit Diploma, Diploma or Extended Diploma*) (Pass, Merit or Distinction).
*In 3rd year students have the opportunity to Study Abroad or to be placed in an organisation for Work Based Learning. This gives students a much broader experience for both their soft skills and technical skills. They can also gain contacts in industry to help them in their future career. If you travel abroad you can significantly improve your language skills and immerse themselves in another culture.
Brian Boyd (Department of Business Studies)
Recognition by Professional Bodies:
While studying this course you will have the opportunity to sit the Adobe Certified Associate exam. This provides students with an additional external software qualification using the Adobe Certified Associate Programme. The ACA Programme adds great value to the current course on offer in Business Studies in DkIT as the course content maps what we are currently covering along with offering students globally recognised qualifications adding value to both the course and students CVs.
Students benefit from this accreditation in each of the following ways:
- Globally recognised qualification. This will prove each student has the industry required real world skills.
- Students learn real-world job skills that employers value.
- Use Adobe products effectively and efficiently.
- Adds value to a students CV differentiating them from others.
|Starting Date||September 2023|
|School||School of Business & Humanities|
|Awarding Body||Dundalk Institute of Technology|
|Delivery Method||On Campus|
How To Apply
Apply on CAO
All standard entry first-year applicants must apply for entry through the CAO. See Important application dates for CAO and information for specific applicant types below:
International Application (non-EU)
International Applicants (not from or living in the EU) can apply through an agent or directly to DkIT to study this course.
Advanced Entry & Transfer Applications
Advanced Entry is for applicants who have previous educational achievements and/or work experience and want to be considered for direct entry onto their chosen course. This includes students looking to transfer to DkIT from another Higher Education provider.