BB in Business and Management
This 3-year level 7 course introduces students to the fundamentals of business management and prepares them with the skills to work managing a modern complex business.
On this course you will learn how to gather, assess, analyse and present business information. You will study management and marketing strategies at international level, develop skills in logical thinking and problem-solving, and have the option of becoming fluent in a modern language.
YEAR 1 - Semester 1:
- Accounting for Business (year-long)
- Creativity for Innovation
- Research & Communication Skills
- Business Mathematics
- Spanish 1
- French 1
- Chinese 1
- English 1
- Introduction to the Global Tourism Industry
- Intercultural Studies 1 (Irish Society)
YEAR 1 -Semester 2:
- Intercultural Studies 2 (Shape of Europe)
- Free Choice Elective 1
- Developmental Psychology
- Working with Young People
- Realistic Theatre
- Organisation, Structure and Development of Sport in Ireland
- Service Learning
- The Geography of Travel and Tourism
- Spanish 2
- Chinese 2
- French 2
- English 2
YEAR 2 — Semester 1:
- Tourism Operations Management
- Intercultural Studies 3 (America)
- Spanish 3
- Chinese 3
- French 3
- English 3
YEAR 2 - Semester 2:
- Business Tourism
- Intercultural Studies 4 (Middle East and Africa)
- Spanish 4
- Chinese 4
- French 4
- English 4
YEAR 3 - Semester 1:
*Studies are taken abroad in a partner college. Modules taken will be by arrangement through Learning Agreement with a partner college.
- Work Placement
- Intercultural Studies 5 (Asia)
- International Tourism Policy and Planning
- Erasmus English 1
- Spanish 5
- Chinese 5
- French 5
- English 5
YEAR 3 - Semester 2
General office administration in the private or public sector, sales administration across a broad range of industry sectors with the potential to progress to management level. With the heavy focus on entrpreneurship and internationalisation on this course, graduates would be fully prepared to start their own business, in Ireland or abroad. Other areas of potential employment would be: Small Business Management, Investment, Marketing, Human Resources Management or creating and running your own business.
The course will also suitably equip graduates who wish to advance their studies in more specialised areas of business and management.
Note: Students who have passed Year 1 of this course, with an average mark of 70% across all subjects, may be considered for transfer to Year 2 of a Level 8 Business course at DkIT. This is subject to interview and to places being available.
Students with an average of above 50%, in their Level 7 degree, can progess to the one year, add-on Bachelor of Business (Honours) Degree (Level 8).
Note: Students who have successfully completed the first two years of this course and who wish to leave after two years, may be awarded a Level 6 Higher Certificate in Business.
Leaving Certificate Entry Requirements:
- Six Grades at O6 or H7 in Leaving Certificate
- INCLUDING at least one H5 Grade, or Minimum Points Score of 200
- AND Mathematics Grade F2, O6 or H7
- AND English Grade O6 or H7
- OR Irish Grade O6 or H7
- French: Ordinary Level, Grade 03 or Higher Level,Grade H5 at Leaving Certificate, or equivalent.
- Spanish/Chinese: No prior knowledge required.
Northern Ireland/UK Entry Requirements:
Applicants must meet the matriculation requirement of 5 different subjects which must include:
- Mathematics at GCSE (Grade A* - C) or better
- English (or Irish) at GCSE (Grade A* - C) or better
- One subject at either:
- ‘A Level’ (Grade A* - C or better)
- OR Applied A-Level (Grade A* - E)
- OR BTEC National Level 3 (National Award, Subsidiary Diploma, Extended Certificate, 90-Credit Diploma, Foundation Diploma, Diploma or Extended Diploma) (Pass,Merit or Distinction).
- OR OCR Cambridge Technical Level 3 (Introductory Diploma, Extended Certificate, Subsidiary Diploma, Foundation Diploma, 90-Credit Diploma, Diploma or Extended Diploma) (Pass, Merit or Distinction)
- The remaining subjects must be different from those listed above and may be drawn from recognised subjects at:
- GCSE (Grade A* - C)
- AND/OR AS Level’ (Grades A - E)
- AND/OR A-level’ (Grades A* - E)
- AND/OR Applied ‘A-level’ (Grade A* - E)
- AND/OR BTEC National Level 3 (National Award, Subsidiary Diploma, Extended Certificate, 90-Credit Diploma, Foundation Diploma, Diploma or Extended Diploma*) (Pass, Merit or Distinction).
- AND/OR OCR Cambridge Technical Level 3 (Introductory Diploma, Extended Certificate, Subsidiary Diploma, Foundation Diploma, 90-Credit Diploma, Diploma or Extended Diploma*) (Pass, Merit or Distinction).
|School||School of Business & Humanities|
|Awarding Body||Dundalk Institute of Technology|
|Starting Date||September 2018|
How to Apply
All applications for this course must be made directly to the CAO by using the course ID
Northern Ireland & UK
Applicants from Northern Ireland/UK must also apply through CAO. Find out more information about
applying to DkIT from Northern Ireland or the UK.