BSc in Bioscience
Three great reasons to consider this course
- Science is a way of investigating, understanding and explaining our world, the wider universe and everything in it.
- Bioscience at DkIT provides a grounding in biological sciences which graduates can use in many different industries such as biotechnology, biopharmaceutical, food and environmental sectors.
- If you want to shape the world around you, help make scientific advances that benefit mankind and prepare for a successful career, then Bioscience at DkIT may be for you.
If you have a keen interest in Biology and enjoy studying subjects like Biochemistry, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology and Ecology, then this three-year course is for you.
Bioscience is the science associated with all living things and how they function and interact with their environment. Bioscience at DkIT aims to equip students with the knowledge and technical skills in subjects such as biotechnology, microbiology, biotherapeutics and applied ecology.
By studying Bioscience at DkIT, you will gain a foundation in the aspects of modern biology that underpin the production of drugs, medical products and the control of pollution.
There is an option for graduates of this course to specialise further by progression onto an Honours degree course at DkIT in Biopharmaceutical Science or Environmental Bioscience (subject to electives).
Science is not just about what you study, but how you study it.
YEAR 1 - Semester 1:
- Physics through Problem-Based Learning 1
- Mathematics 1
- Fundamental Chemistry
- Biology (year-long)
- Health & Safety and Academic Skills (year-long)
YEAR 1 - Semester 2:
- Physics through Problem-Based Learning 2
- Mathematics 2
- Biology (year-long)
- Health and Safety and Academic Skills (year-long)
YEAR 2 - Semester 1:
YEAR 2 - Semester 2:
YEAR 3 - Semester 1:
- Aquatic Sciences
YEAR 3 - Semester 2:
- Quality Management
- Biotechnology (year-long)
- Biopharmaceutical Therapeutics
- Bioanalytical Science
- Literature Research Project
The Bioscience course is delivered through a mixture of lectures, practicals and tutorials. Practicals include laboratory work. This programme contains a high level of hands-on experience at every level.
At DkIT we employ modern teaching methods and technology to promote active and engaged learning and develop transferable skills.
Graduates from this degree can gain employment in some of the following industries and areas:
- Food and Beverage
- Medical devices
- Environment (research / council etc)
Potential roles for graduates would be:
- Lab Technician
- Quality Control/Assurance analyst
- Process Development Technician
- Project Assistant
- Research Assistant
- Validation/Manufacturing Technician.
Progression within DkIT onto year 4 of the BSc (Honours) in Science: Biopharmaceutical Science OR Environmental Bioscience Award (subject to electives).
Progression within DkIT onto BSc (Hons) in Food Production (add-on programme, subject to suitable experience / background in Agriculture or Food-related area(s).
Progression onto relevant National or International B.Sc. (Hons) programmes.
Leaving Certificate Entry Requirements:
Six Grades at O6 or H7 in Leaving Certificate including:
- At least one H5 Grades
- AND Mathematics Grade F2, O6 or H7
- AND English Grade O6 or H7 OR Irish Grade O6 or H7
- PLUS minimum points score of 200
A Leaving Certificate science subject is desirable.
Northern Ireland/UK Entry Requirements:
Applicants must meet the matriculation requirement of 5 different subjects which must include:
- Mathematics at GCSE (Grade A* - C) or better
- English (or Irish) at GCSE (Grade A* - C) or better
- One subjects at either:
- ‘A Level’ (Grade A* - E)
- AND/OR Applied A-Level (Grade A* - E)
- AND/OR BTEC National Level 3 (Subsidiary Diploma, 90-Credit Diploma, Diploma or Extended Diploma) (Grade Pass, Merit or Distinction).
- AND/OR OCR Cambridge Technical Level 3 (Subsidiary Diploma, 90-Credit Diploma. Diploma or Extended Diploma) (Grade Pass, Merit or Distinction)
- The remaining subjects must be different from those presented above and may be drawn from recognised subjects at:
- GCSE (Grade A* - C)
- AND/OR AS Level’ (Grades A - E)
- AND/OR A-level’ (Grades A* - E)
- AND/OR Applied ‘A-level’ (Grade A* - E)
- AND/OR BTEC National Level 3 (Subsidiary Diploma, 90-Credit Diploma, Diploma or Extended Diploma) (Pass, Merit or Distinction).
- AND/OR OCR Cambridge Technical Level 3 (Subsidiary Diploma, 90-Credit Diploma, Diploma or Extended Diploma) (Pass, Merit or Distinction).
This course is best suited to students who:
- Have a keen interest in Biology and would enjoy studying subjects like Biochemistry, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology and Ecology
- Enjoy finding out how things work should consider this course.
- Enjoy a high level of practical (laboratory) work, combined with supporting theory would benefit from this course
The course has a very high level of practical laboratory experience. Students are divided into smaller groups for laboratory practicals for hands-on experience.
Students will get the opportunity to go on-site visits to relevant Industries and explore the range of exciting career opportunities available.
|School||School of Health & Science|
|Department||Life and Health Sciences|
|Awarding Body||Dundalk Institute of Technology|
How to Apply
All applications for this course must be made directly to the CAO by using the course ID
Northern Ireland & UK
Applicants from Northern Ireland/UK must also apply through CAO. Find out more information about
applying to DkIT from Northern Ireland or the UK.