Skip to main content

Study Visa

Citizens from some countries require a study-visa for Ireland. Ireland is not a member of the Schengen Agreement. If you have obtained a visa for a Schengen country, you will need to apply for a separate visa for Ireland. A list of the Irish Embassies can be found at For up-to-date information on visa-regulations, please check

Dundalk Institute of Technology supports new international students on arrival with an application for the Irish Residence Permit (formerly known as GNIB Card). On arrival in Dublin, you will receive a landing stamp on your passport, permitting you to stay in Ireland for (typically) 90 days. You are required to make an appointment with the Immigration authority, before the date on your landing stamp expires, in order to extend your study visa, and apply for an Irish Residence Permit (IRP).

All visa queries should be directed to your Education Agent, or to the Irish Embassy in your home country.