Certificate in Programming
Five great reasons to consider this course
- FREE COURSE - Springboard Funded
- This course provides an up-skilling opportunity for those wishing to develop IT skills.
- You will build foundation skills in web-development and programming.
- The course is practically focused and will help participants develop critical thinking and analytical skills crucial for the workplace of today.
- It is a good first step for those considering a change of career towards the IT Sector.
The Certificate in Programming is an introductory one-year part-time programme in which participants develop basic skills in programming, web development and databases. The programme is now available for application via the Springboard+ scheme. It aims to provide participants with the foundation skills to design and develop simple database web applications. Such skills are highly relevant in the business sector, they can be utilised within current employment settings and allow for improved mobility of participants.
Important notice about this course
THIS COURSE HAS BEEN SUBMITTED FOR SPRINGBOARD 2021/22 FUNDING.
ANNOUNCEMENT DUE BY MID-JUNE.
This course is supported by Springboard+. You can find more information on Springboard by clicking here.
ICT skills at all levels are in high demand. This programme is at an introductory level and will produce graduates who will be able to create intermediate level client-server websites and program at a basic level, skills that are required by industry, in Ireland and across the world.
The aim of the programme is to provide participants with the foundation skills to design and develop simple database web applications. Such skills are highly relevant in the business sector which can be utilised within current employment settings and allow for improved mobility of participants. Graduates will have valuable skills in Web development and interaction with database design and implementation that will position them with the required skills to obtain employment in a web application development environment.
Students on this course will learn how to think through a project clearly, break it down into a series of steps or instructions and turn these instructions into lines of code.
Please note: This programme is funded for eligible applicants via Springboard+ 2020.
Modules taught include:
- Web Development and Databases: In this module you will be introduced to creating visual content for client-side webpages, structuring your visual and text content on a webpage (HTML5 code) and styling a webpage (CSS code).
- Programming Principles: Not all code is written for the web. You will build on your introductory programming knowledge and become a competent and confident coder. Students completing this module will be capable of using a problem-solving approach to the design, build and testing of solutions to fundamental programming problems.
Classes normally run on Monday and Wednesday evenings 6:00pm to 9:00pm over two semesters.
This course is delivered using a blended learning approach with weekly interactive and hands-on practical lab-based sessions supported by independent and online learning.
Please note that these arrangements may be subject to changes due to the Covid-19 situation.
If successful on this certificate, you will be able to create intermediate level client-server websites and to program at an introductory level, skills that highly sought-after by industry.
You can also continue your studies here at DkIT, either:
- By taking another part-time Certificate (e.g. Networking and Systems Administration)
- Or by upgrading to a full-time degree level programme at DkIT.
DkIT standard entry requirements onto a level 6 programme are:
- Five Grades at O6 or H7 in Leaving Certificate
- AND Mathematics Grade F2, O6 or H7
- AND English Grade O6 or H7
- OR Irish Grade O6 or H7
Mature students are not required to have the minimum Leaving Certificate requirements but should provide any relevant additional information in support of their application. Mature students may be interviewed.
No prior programming exposure is required.
To apply for this programme via the Springboard+ scheme, you must meet the eligibility criteria (click to read) in addition to the minimum entry criteria listed above.
This course would be of interest to individuals hoping to pursue a career in Computing, particularly in the fields of software development or web development. This introductory programme provides a starting point for a move to the IT sector.
|School||School of Informatics & Creative Arts|
|Department||Computing Science and Mathematics|
|Awarding Body||Dundalk Institute of Technology|
|Fees||FREE via the Springboard scheme|
|Starting Date||28th September 2020 at 6.00pm|
How to Apply
If you have any questions about applying for this course, please contact email@example.com