Certificate in Programming
Three great reasons to consider this course
- Online course that provides an up-skilling opportunity for those wishing to develop IT skills.
- You will build foundation skills in web-development and programming.
- Learn from the comfort of your own home and consider a change of career towards the IT Sector.
The Certificate in Programming is an introductory one-year part-time programme in which participants develop basic skills in programming, web development and databases. It aims to provide participants with the foundation skills to design and develop simple database web applications. Such skills are highly relevant in the business sector, they can be utilised within current employment settings and allow for improved mobility of participants.
ICT skills at all levels are in high demand. This programme is at an introductory level and will produce graduates who will be able to create intermediate level client-server websites and program at a basic level, skills that are required by industry, in Ireland and across the world.
The aim of the programme is to provide participants with the foundation skills to design and develop simple database web applications. Such skills are highly relevant in the business sector which can be utilised within current employment settings and allow for improved mobility of participants. Graduates will have valuable skills in Web development and interaction with database design and implementation that will position them with the required skills to obtain employment in a web application development environment.
Students on this course will learn how to think through a project clearly, break it down into a series of steps or instructions and turn these instructions into lines of code.
Modules taught include:
- Web Development and Databases: In this module you will be introduced to creating visual content for client-side webpages, structuring your visual and text content on a webpage (HTML5 code) and styling a webpage (CSS code).
- Programming Principles: Not all code is written for the web. You will build on your introductory programming knowledge and become a competent and confident coder. Students completing this module will be capable of using a problem-solving approach to the design, build and testing of solutions to fundamental programming problems.
Classes will normally run in fully online mode on Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6:00pm to 9.00pm over two semesters. Delivery will involve a blend of "live" synchronous classes supported by additional asynchronous contact hours (videos/practical tasks), to be completed within the same week but at a time of the student’s choosing.
Please note that the timetable is subject to change.
If successful on this certificate, you will be able to create intermediate level client-server websites and to program at an introductory level, skills that highly sought-after by industry.
You can also continue your studies here at DkIT, either:
- By taking another part-time Certificate (e.g. Networking and Systems Administration)
- Or by upgrading to a full-time degree level programme at DkIT.
The course fee is €950. The fee is payable as follows:
- Payment 1: Application Fee = €50 (Refundable if you are not made an offer of a place on the course)
- Payment 2: Accept Offer Fee = €100 (Non-refundable)
- Payment 3 of €325 is payable by 28th February
- Payment 4 of €475 is payable by 31st October
DkIT standard entry requirements onto a level 6 programme are:
- Five Grades at O6 or H7 in Leaving Certificate
- AND Mathematics Grade F2, O6 or H7
- AND English Grade O6 or H7
- OR Irish Grade O6 or H7
Mature students are not required to have the minimum Leaving Certificate requirements but should provide any relevant additional information in support of their application. Mature students may be interviewed.
No prior programming exposure is required.
This course would be of interest to individuals hoping to pursue a career in Computing, particularly in the fields of software development or web development. This introductory programme provides a starting point for a move to the IT sector.
Dr. Fiona Lawless (Head of Department of Computing Science and Mathematics)
Phone: +353 42 9370200
|Course Type||Flexible & Professional|
|Starting Date||Monday 18th September at 6.00pm - subject to change|
|School||School of Informatics & Creative Arts|
|Department||Computing Science and Mathematics|
|Awarding Body||Dundalk Institute of Technology|
How To Apply
Apply Directly to DkIT
Apply directly to DkIT using our online applications system. Please remember to upload the required documentation (scanned copies of your existing qualification(s) and your CV) with your online application to expedite your academic assessment. To avoid disappointment early registration is recommended.