MSc in Professional Nursing
Three great reasons to consider this course
- Gain greater knowledge with a practice orientated programme.
- This programme is delivered via a blend of online and face-to-face delivery to allow greater flexibility to learners.
- Completion of this programme will enhance your career opportunities allowing greater potential for career progression.
The aim of this programme is to provide an accessible, innovative, flexible and practice-orientated sustainable programme that will attract and retain nurses who will continue to work as Nurses within an integrated health service. The programme will enhance professional practice, patient safety and the education, administration and research capacity of the learner.
Important notice about this course
If you have any questions about this programme, please use the 'Enquire about the course' button below.
The Masters of Science in Professional Nursing will be offered to qualified, experienced nurses who wish to develop their knowledge, skills and competencies. The programme provides the nurse with a broad based educational experience to practice at an advanced level incorporating key concepts such as advanced decision making, professional leadership, evidence based practice, professional ethics, research knowledge and skills.
This programme was developed in partnership with educational institutions, health care service providers and learners nationally. This was achieved by the Dundalk Institute of Technology working in collaboration and partnership with representatives from Departments of Nursing within each of the Institutes of Technology in Ireland namely Letterkenny Institute of Technology (LKIT), Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology (GMIT), Athlone Institute of Technology (AIT), Institute of Technology Tralee (ITT) and Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT).
Stage 1 — Semester 1
- The Fundamentals of Professional Practice (10 ECTS)
- Leadership and Clinical Decision Making for Advanced Practice (10 ECTS)
Stage 1 — Semester 2
- Research Methods for Evidence Based Practice (10 ECTS)
- Advanced practice in Person Centred Integrated Care (10 ECTS)
Stage 2 — Semester 1
- Generating Evidence Based for Healthcare Practice and Improvement (30 ECTS — Year long module)
- Quality and Innovation (10 ECTS)
- Elective Modules: Advanced Comprehensive Health Assessment (10 ECTS) or Transforming Professional Practice Through Reflection (10 ECTS)
Stage 2 — Semester 2
This programme will be delivered predominantly online with live online lectures on Thursdays from 09.00hrs to 13.30hrs.
In the afternoons students will be given directed study, which students can undertake at a time suitable to them.
Students are required to attend the DkIT campus, from 09.00hrs to 16.30 hrs, for 3 days (approx.) in each semester
Please note this timetable is subject to change
The programme provides the nurse with a broad based educational experience to practice at an advanced level.
Graduates of this Programme will be able to progress to level 10 (PhD) programmes. In addition, they may avail of Level 10 research opportunities in DkIT.
The fees for this programme are €5,400 per annum. Questions relating to fees for this programme should be directed to email@example.com (Tel: +353(0)429370200 Ext 2736)
To be eligible for this programme applicants must:
- Be registered Nurse with NMBI
- Be currently employed in health care provision
- Hold a level 8 qualification
*Applicants who do not have a level 8 qualification may apply for entry to the programme in accordance with the procedures outlined in the DkIT Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) policy.
Due to the blended learning delivery within this course students should have access to a PC / Mac, a headset with a mic, and a broadband internet connection from home, so as to be able to fully participate in the course.
- Basic IT skills are essential to complete this programme.
- Applicants may be interviewed.
Dr. Geraldine O'Connor (School of Health & Science)
Phone: +353 (0)42 937 0200 Ext 2736
|Duration||2 Years (Part-time)|
|Starting Date||September 2023|
|School||School of Health & Science|
|Department||Nursing, Midwifery and Early Years|
|Awarding Body||Dundalk Institute of Technology|
How To Apply
Apply Directly to DkIT
Apply directly to DkIT using our online applications system. Please remember to upload the required documentation (copies of your existing qualification(s), your CV, any other support documents etc) with your online application to expedite your application. To avoid disappointment early registration is recommended.