Certificate in School Age Childcare
The aim of this programme is to enhance and provide the learner with the knowledge, skills and competence to effectively plan, implement and evaluate school age childcare programmes. The programme will allow learners to critically examine the appropriate values, attitudes and dispositions for working in the area of school age childcare.
Important notice about this course
Application deadline Tuesday 5th September or until all places are taken, whichever comes first.
- An opportunity to explore contemporary practice, reflective and reflexive thinking, in relation to the provision of school age childcare.
- Critically examine the role of the adult to ensure their professional judgements are central in facilitating children’s and young people’s learning and development, identifying children’s and young people’s dispositions and strengths, while also developing their interests, abilities, talents and supporting their life skills.
- A comprehensive overview of key theories in psychology relevant to middle childhood, gaining an understanding of working within a strengths-based approach with children and adolescents.
Modules taught on the programme include:
This programme will be delivered on two evenings (Tuesdays and Thursdays 6.00pm to 9.00pm), via live online lectures. In additon, students attend for face to face lectures (09.00hrs to 16.00hrs) on 3 Saturdays over the semester.
Please note this is subject to change
Total fee is €750 payable as follows:
€100 accept offer fee (non-refundable)
€650 payable by 31st October
- Applicants will normally hold a Level 6 qualification (major award) in a relevant discipline, including ELC or other related fields (e.g. youth work, social care).
- Currently employed in a relevant service
- For candidates who do not meet the above entry criteria but have considerable relevant experience, the DkIT Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) Policy and Procedures may be applied. As part of the RPL process, candidates may be called for interview.
This programme is designed and developed to facilitate those already working in the early years’ sector, particularly those working in school age childcare services and who wish to obtain knowledge and skills through work-based learning in authentic contexts and where assessments are linked to practice.
The programme supports participants in their career readiness as competent SAC practitioners and leaders of high-quality provision in School Age Childcare settings.
|Course Type||Flexible & Professional|
|Starting Date||Tuesday 19th September 2023 at 6pm|
|School||School of Health & Science|
|Department||Nursing, Midwifery and Early Years|
|Awarding Body||Dundalk Institute of Technology|