Certificate in Animal Biotechnology
This one-year part-time course aims to up-skill existing science graduates and provide them with knowledge of the use and potential of biotechnology in agriculture, specifically in the area of animal production.
Important notice about this course
NOW CLOSED FOR APPLICATIONS
Closing date for applications is 12th August 2022
Bridging/induction: 14th, 15th and 16th September, NE231, 10.00 a.m. All must attend.
Start date for programme: Thursday 22nd September, NE231, 9.30 a.m
Graduates of the Certificate in Animal Biotechnology will gain an understanding of areas such as animal genetics, selective breeding and lineage traceability, and how molecular biology can be applied in the in the construction of genetically modified organisms within the animal setting.
Modules taught are:
- Semester 1 - Animal Genetics
- Semester 2 - Animal Biotechnology
This programme is co-delivered with our MSc in Agricultural Biotechnology.
It is year long with one module each semester. As the modules are blocked, attendance on a half day per week, on either Thursday or Friday, is required in addition to being available for some occasional practical or field classes on other days.
Start dates for 2022/23 for MSc in Agricultural Biotechnology (and co-delivered minor awards Cert in Animal Biotechnology and Cert in Food and Feed Biotechnology) are as follows:
- Bridging/induction: 14th, 15th and 16th September, NE231, 10.00 a.m. All must attend.
- Start date for programme: Thursday 22nd September, NE231, 9.30 a.m.
This timetable is subject to change.
Graduates are generally equipped to seek mid to senior-level positions in the private sector and government where expertise in animal science and biotechnology is leveraged in an interdisciplinary team environment.
Some career options include:
- Research specialist
- Laboratory technician
The course fee is €1275. The fee is payable as follows:
- Payment 1: Application Fee = €50 (Refundable if you are not made an offer of a place on the course)
- Payment 2: Accept Offer Fee = €100 (Non-refundable)
- Payment 3 of €487 is payable by 31st October
- Payment 4 of €638 is payable by 28th February
- Minimum of second class honours degree in Agriculture, Agricultural Science, Biotechnology, Food Science or related discipline.
- Applicants with relevant experience who do not meet the academic entry requirements may also apply.
- International students must have a minimum level of English equivalent to IELTS 6.5.
This course will be of interest to those working in the Agriculture, Environmental and Food Science areas who wish to progress to management level.
Dr Siobhan Jordan (Acting Head of Department of Agriculture, Food and Animal Health)
Dr. Geraldine O’Connor (Head of Section (Part time courses), School of Health and Science)
Phone: +353 429370200
Dr. Caroline Gilleran Stephens (Programme Director)
|Course Type||Postgraduate, Flexible & Professional|
|Starting Date||Thursday 22nd September|
|School||School of Health & Science|
|Department||Agriculture, Food and Animal Health|
|Awarding Body||Dundalk Institute of Technology|
|Delivery Method||On Campus|
How To Apply
Apply Directly to DkIT
Apply directly to DkIT using our online applications system. Please remember to upload the required documentation (scanned copies of your existing qualification(s) and your CV) with your online application to expedite your academic assessment. To avoid disappointment early registration is recommended.