BSc in Agriculture
Three great reasons to consider this course
- This is currently the only programme in Ireland that will allow you to get a level 7 degree in Agriculture on a part-time basis.
- This is an opportunity to develop new skills to keep pace with ongoing technological and policy changes in the Agriculture sector.
- This is a route into a possible new career as an entrepreneur or in the Agri-food sector.
This is a 60-credit, part-time, level 7 add-on degree programme which will be delivered over 2 years. It was developed by DkIT in partnership with Teagasc Ballyhaise Agricultural College and is the first programme of its kind in Ireland. It is evident that there is a need to provide ongoing education for qualified, experienced farmers and those working in agri-business, to allow them to keep pace with ongoing technological and policy changes in the sector. This programme is aimed at holders of ‘Green Certs’ who have significant experience but did not pursue higher or further education beyond NFQ level 6.
Important notice about this course
NOW ENROLLING FOR AUTUMN 2022 INTAKE
Closing date for applications is Wednesday 31st August 2022, or until all places are taken.
This is a collaborative programme delivered jointly with Teagasc at Ballyhaise Agricultural College. See more information in the course description below.
Due to the blended learning delivery within this course students should have access to a PC / Mac, a headset with a mic, and a broadband internet connection from home, so as to be able to fully participate in the course. Basic IT skills essential.
The induction for this programme will take place from 09.00hrs to 17.00hrs on Monday 13th to Friday 16th September.
Final exams may be scheduled in the DkIT campus during the day time.
Graduates of this programme will demonstrate:
1. A strong foundation in biological, physical and chemical sciences and mathematics and an understanding of the relevance of science to agri-food industry
2. A strong skills base in business, finance and entrepreneurship to enable on farm diversification, while also applying a sustainable approach to Agri-business in terms of increased competitiveness and enhanced market orientation.
3. An informed approach to sustainable forage and crop production, based on an in-depth understanding of present and evolving soil nutrient management, technological advances, and plant protection methodologies.
4. Knowledge of animal production, husbandry, breeding, disease control, all of which are underpinned by a strong sustainable environment focus with a view to optimising animal health and associated environment.
5. Understanding of the key quality management and food safety standards and tools with a view to producing efficient, sustainable, safe, traceable and value-added food products.
6. The ability to apply evolving science, technology and business acumen through an innovative and adaptable approach to meet current and future challenges in the Agriculture sector.
This programme has a strong central theme of 'Sustainability' and this will be reflected in the profile of the graduates.
Semester 1 Modules:
Semester 2 Modules:
- Crop and Forage Science
- Agricultural Biochemistry and Nutrition
- Poultry and Pig Production Systems (elective)
- The Science of Food (elective)
Semester 3 Modules:
Semester 4 Modules:
The course will be delivered on 2 evenings per week (Mondays and Wednesdays), one of which will be online and one on campus in either DkIT or Ballyhaise College. Laboratory and farm practical classes will be held on 2-3 Saturdays during each semester.
It is anticipated that graduates may progress to career opportunities in the following areas:
• Level 8 programme opportunities in agriculture related disciplines.
• Commercial farmer or Farm Manager.
• Technical Sales Role/Sales Advisor.
• Manufacturing – Agri-Food Sector.
• Rural entrepreneurs (e.g. artisan food products, etc.).
• Quality Management / Quality Assurance roles in the Agri-Food industry.
Graduates of this programme may be interested in progressing to an add-on Honours Degree (Level 8) programme. To this end a level 8 part-time programme may be developed by DkIT as a specific progression route from this programme, subject to demand.
Total Course fee is €2,800 or €1400 per year.
Tuition fees for Year 1 is as follows:
- Instalment 1: €50 is payable upon application (This is non-refundable if you are made an offer of a place)
- Instalment 2: €100 (non-refundable) is payable to confirm your acceptance of a course place.
- Instalment 3: €550 is payable by the end of October.
- Instalment 4: €700 is payable by the end of February.
The minimum entry requirements for entry to the programme are as follows:
- Higher Certificate in Science in Agriculture or equivalent (NFQ level 6 Higher Education);
Advanced Certificate in Agriculture (NFQ level 6 QQI award) and a minimum of 2 years relevant post qualification experience;
Certificate in Agriculture (NFQ Level 5 QQI award) with NFQ level 6 Specific Purpose Certificate in Farm Administration and a minimum of 3 years relevant post qualification experience;
Other NFQ level 6 Agriculture awards that meet the requirements for the Green Cert, which may be considered under the DkIT Recognised Prior Learning (RPL) Policy.
Candidates may be invited for interview and this will form part of the selection process where demand exceeds available places.
For candidates who do not meet the above entry criteria but have considerable relevant experience, the DkIT Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) policy and procedures may be applied.
Applicants should include a letter from an employer confirming that they have the relevant amount of full time work experience.
Holders of 'Green Certs' who have experience in the industry and wish to:
- Progress academically and obtain a level 7 award.
- Develop new skills in identified areas such as sustainable animal and crop production, environmental management, financial management, marketing and entrepreneurship.
- Update and improve skills and practices and obtain better access to funded existing and future schemes.
- Develop skills to support diversification or the development of a home-based industry.
- Pursue new career paths or enable further career progression within the Agri-Food sector.
|Course Type||Flexible & Professional, Add On|
|Fees||€2,800 (€1,400 per year)|
|Starting Date||Monday 19th September 2022 (subject to change)|
|School||School of Health & Science|
|Department||Agriculture, Food and Animal Health|
|Awarding Body||Dundalk Institute of Technology|
How to Apply
Please upload copies of your existing qualifications and your CV when you apply.
The closing date for applications is 30th August (or until all places are taken whichever comes first)