Certificate in Communication Skills
Two great reasons to consider this course
- This Certificate will provide learners with the opportunity to practice a range of professional communication skills including oral and written presentation, teamwork in diverse groups and negotiation.
- Graduates will develop an understanding of current thinking on best professional practice in professional communication skills in business contexts
The Certificate in Communication Skills aims to introduce learners to the role of effective professional communication in business. This course provides insights into communication in business contexts informed by recent research, allowing learners to develop a range of professional communication skills. It also provides students with the opportunity to practice a range of professional communication skills including oral and written presentation, teamwork in diverse groups and negotiation.
Important notice about this course
NOW ENROLLING FOR AUTUMN INTAKE
Students of this course will develop general understanding, awareness and communicative effectiveness, as well as critical thinking and research skills. The programme will also help develop in students an understanding of current thinking on best professional practice in professional communication skills in business contexts.
On successful completion of this course students should be able to:
- Establish and manage a basic research project, including the design and administration of primary data gathering and the collection and evaluation of research articles in an ethical context.
- Write an academic report using professional structures, layout and referencing schemes.
- Apply theories of communication and best practice in a variety of business interactions, both verbal and non-verbal.
- Develop and deliver effective business presentations, individually and in groups, with appropriate use of visual and verbal supports.
- Develop and deliver a range of professional communication skills including assertiveness and negotiation, listening and reflecting, explaining and questioning in the business context.
- Business Correspondence: Students will learn how to conduct formal correspondence, mindful of appropriate tone, language, content & style.
- Research Methods: Tuition in designing, implementing and managing a research project for any subject - Primary & Secondary research - Qualitative vs quantitative research - Developing a hypothesis - Writing the proposal - Literature review - Interview design & etiquette -Questionnaire design & administration - Analysing and selecting data - Ethical considerations.
- Reports: Typical short report format for presenting research findings in an academic context.- Basic structure - Language & style - Selecting & editing data - Proofreading - Presentation.
- Study Skills: Practical tutorials designed to introduce new students to third-level education practice and standards, and introduce tools for effective learning.
- Harvard Referencing: Tuition to equip students to protect the academic integrity of their work throughout the programme and avoid plagiarism -Understanding plagiarism - Quoting, Paraphrasing, Summarising - Referencing different types of sources using the Harvard Referencing System. - Resources for referencing (DkIT resources, useful websites) - Checking work for plagiarism using detection software.
- Language & Style: Structure and Etiquette
The mode of delivery is part-time evening classes (Wednesdays, 6.30pm-9.30pm, subject to change) for one semester with some blended via DkIT Moodle.
Assessment of this Certificate will comprise 100% continuous assessment course work.
Graduates of this Certificate in Communications Skills may be eligible for exemptions on other similar programmes within DkIT and with other providers.
Learners who successfully complete this Certificate will be offered the relevant module exemption from the DkIT BBS part-time degree.
Learners completing this may also apply to the full-time BB in Business & Management programme and, provided they meet entry criteria for that programme, will be offered exemptions for the relevant module that they have successfully completed.
€50 Application fee (refundable if you are not made an offer)
€100 Accept Offer fee (non refundable)
Balance of €350 payable by 31st October
Total fee = €500
All applicants will normally hold a relevant level 5 qualification (or equivalent) or higher.
This course is best-suited to:
- Students who wish to gain insights into the role of effective professional communication in business. It provides insights into communication in business contexts informed by recent research, allowing learners to develop a range of professional communication skills.
- Students who wish to develop an understanding of current thinking on best professional practice in professional communication skills in business contexts.
- Students who wish to gain the opportunity to practice a range of professional communication skills including oral and written presentation, teamwork in diverse groups and negotiation.
|School||School of Business & Humanities|
|Awarding Body||Dundalk Institute of Technology|
|Starting Date||Wednesday, 22nd September at 6.30pm|
How to Apply
Please ensure to upload any required documentation when you apply.