BSc (Hons) in Agriculture
|Course Type|| |
Honours Bachelor Degree
|Course Category|| |
|Programme Code|| |
|CAO Codes|| |
|Duration Type|| |
- About this Programme
- Programme Details
- Entry Requirements
- Further Info
The aim of this programme is to produce graduates with knowledge, skills and competencies to respond effectively to current and future developments in Agriculture and the Agri-Food Industry. The programme will provide graduates with a strong foundation in science, business and agriculture and will specifically develop skills and knowledge in the areas of animal and crop production, animal husbandry and biosecurity, health and safety, agricultural mechanisation, financial and business management, entrepreneurship and innovation, environmental protection and the production and processing of safe, quality-assured food. Graduates will have knowledge and appreciation of national and international policy and legislation and will have excellent communication skills, research competence and the ability to respond to the challenges of larger scale, market-led production, alternative rural enterprise and environmental sustainability.
The programme is based in Ballyhaise Agricultural College in Co. Cavan and Dundalk Institute of Technology. Based on student demand, transport is provided from Ballyhaise to DkIT, so most students find it is more convenient to be based in the vicinity of Ballyhaise. When provided, the cost of this bus to students varies based on the student numbers availing of the bus but is approximately €250 per Semester.
This programme is listed as an SD2B qualification.
Two Award Options under development: The Department are currently developing a second award option for entrants onto this Programme which subject to validation will be available from Sept 2017 entrants. There are two award options proposed namely 1) Agriculture and 2) Agri-Food Production. The first two years are common between the two programmes, but in year three and four students will study modules that are specific for a career in either Agriculture or the Agri-Food industry depending on which award option they wish to pursue.
- Biological and Chemical Sciences
- Animal and Crop Production Science
- Farm Facilities and Machinery
- Mathematics and Computing
- Farm Business Management
- Agricultural Mechanisation
- Academic and Research Skills
- Farm Business Management
- Biochemistry and Animal Nutrition
- Quality Assurance
- Regulatory and Legal Issues
- Dairy, Sheep, Pigs and Poultry Production
- Cattle Production
- Crop Production (incl Forestry and Mushrooms)
- Work Placement (8 -12 Weeks)
- Agricultural Production and Management Systems
- Financial Management Systems
- Quality Management on the Farm
- Marketing for the Agri-Business Sector
- Agricultural Entrepreneurship
- Business Management Systems
- Soil Science and Land Management
- Agriculture in the Environment
- Quality Management in the Food Industry
- Food Processing, Analysis and Production Management
- Research Methods
- Internship (3 months) *
(* work placements available in New Zealand, US, or Europe)
- Agricultural Policy and Professional Practice
- Agri-Food Business Excellence
- Value-added Agri-Food Products
- Sustainable Rural Development
- Herd Health and Biosecurity
- Large-Scale Farm Management
- Agricultural Biotechnology
- Pollution Control in the Agri-Food Sector
- Agri-Science Project
See here for full course content.
Entrants must have a 06/H7 or higher in at least six Leaving Certificate subjects (including Maths and Irish or English) including a grade H5 or higher in two Higher Level subjects and at least 300 points. Entrants from Northern Ireland must have at least two academic A levels at grade C or higher and four other subjects at GCSE, AS or Applied A Levels, to include Mathematics and English (or Irish). BTEC Level 3 Nationals in Applied Science are also accepted.
For further information on entry from Northern Ireland, please consult: https://www.dkit.ie/admissions/undergraduates/first-year-admissions/non-...
International students must have a minimum level of English equivalent to IELTS 6.0
A Leaving Certificate or A-level science subject is not required but is recommended.
Graduates can progress to the M.Sc. in Biotechnology in DkIT or to research postgraduate positions in DkIT or other Institutions.
I graduated from the Sustainable Agriculture course in 2012. From a young age I’ve had a strong interest in agriculture, which led to my decision to choose this course in DkIT. The industrial internship opportunity in the third year of the course was one I thoroughly enjoyed and...Read full testimonial