Skip to main content

Visas & Support

  • Can I work on Ireland after I graduate?

    Third Level Graduate Scheme 

    As of 10th April 2007, legally resident non-EEA third level graduates have been allowed to remain in Ireland for the purpose of seeking employment and applying for a green card or work permit. Graduates who have studied for a primary, masters or doctorate degree from an Irish third level educational institution are entitled to avail of this scheme.

    A person who qualifies will be granted one non-renewable extension to their current student permission for a maximum twelve month period starting on the day upon which they received their exam results. This scheme allows the person to work for up to 40 hours a week under student visa arrangements (Stamp 2) and/or to seek employment and apply for further permission to remain in the state under green card or work permit arrangements.

    This scheme was originally for 6 months and was extended to allow 12 Months.

    To apply graduates should present at their local Garda Siochána registration office, or at the Garda National Immigration Bureau, 13/14 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2 with relevant supporting documentation. Documents required when making an application: 

    • An original letter signed by the College (on the headed paper of the College) stating that the applicant has completed the course of study satisfactorily and the qualification gained. 
    • Current passport
    • Current Certificate of Registration issued by the Garda National Immigration Bureau. (GNIB card)

    For more full information of the conditions, requirements and application procedures of this scheme please visit the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service website.



  • How do I apply for a re-entry visa?

    If applying by post:

    Submit the completed re-entry visa application form, along with all the required documentation by registered post to:

    The Re-entry Visa Processing Office
    Irish Naturalisation & Immigration Service
    13-14 Burgh Quay
    Dublin 2

    All efforts will be made to process your application, where possible, within 4 working days of receipt. All documentation will be returned to the applicant by registered post;

    Please ensure your address on the application form is complete and clearly legible.

    Applications can also be placed in the dedicated Re-entry Visa box in our reception area and returned in the same time it takes to complete a postal application. We endeavour to process your application within 4 working days of receipt and will return your documents to you by registered post.

    Alternatively, you can apply in person:

    You should have your application form fully completed and all documents with you:
    Opening hours are 8.30am to 2.30pm – Monday to Friday (excluding Public Holidays)


  • What are the fees for re-entry visas?

    • Single Entry: €60
    • Multi Entry:  €100

    Bank drafts or postal orders are the only methods of payment that can be accepted and must be made payable to: The Department of Justice and Equality
    No cash or personal cheques will be accepted and no exceptions to this policy will be made under any circumstances.


  • Do I Need A Re-Entry Visa?

    The visa issued to you allows you to enter Ireland once. 

    If you wish to leave the State for a short period of time you must apply, in advance of making any travel arrangements, for a re-entry visa. The responsibility to comply with this requirement rests fully with the visa required individual.
    In circumstances where an individual exits the State without a valid re-entry visa, the only option available to that individual is to submit a fresh visa application to the local embassy or consulate in their country of origin.  It should be borne in mind that the timeframe for consideration of such visa applications can take up to 6 – 8 weeks for processing. Non – EEA nationals (who are visa required) are strongly urged to ensure that they comply with the above requirement.

    You can only apply for the re-entry visa after you have arrived and have completed registration with Irish Immigration. You will find details of how to apply for a re-entry visa on  You should apply for your re-entry visa well in advance of your proposed dates of travel. You will need a letter to state that you are a registered student - please request this through our office.

    Please ensure you inform the International Office at the earliest possible opportunity if you plan to travel outside Ireland (including travel to Northern Ireland) in the first weeks of term. The International Office will try to facilitate an early appointment with the Immigration Officer. If you travel outside of Ireland before gaining your re-entry visa, you may not be allowed to re-enter the country.
    Please note that a Re-entry Visa is required for travel purposes only. If you do not plan to travel outside of Ireland before you complete your studies, you do not need to obtain one.

    Documents required in support of re-entry visa application are stated on the application form. A Visa Officer may ask for further documentation where necessary. You can find more information and the application form on the INIS website


  • Non-visa required students (i.e. those who did not need to apply for a visa before entering Ireland) need to produce the following:

    Students who did not require a visa and who are studying in Ireland can avail of the following options as a means of demonstrating finances (on first registration) of a minimum level as follows: Non-EEA Students studying for a period equal to or greater than 6 months and up to 1 year -  €3,000; Non-EEA Students studying for a period of less than 6 months -  €500 per month of stay or €3,000 which ever is the lesser

    Students should make sure, however, that the option selected is available to them. It is the responsibility of the student to make sure that they are entitled to avail of the option they select taking into account the requirements imposed by the bank or financial institution on opening and operating bank accounts in the State.

    (a) A statement in respect of an Irish bank account showing sufficient funds, where the student can open an Irish bank account
    (b) A current foreign bank statement not less than one month old, together with a past statement, for an account in the students' name (as in his or her passport) accompanied by a debit card in the same name and same bank account
    (c) Documentary evidence that money is held in trust for a student by a financial services body regulated in Ireland by the Central Bank of Ireland
    (d) A pre-paid credit or debit card(s) with a verification of the amount(s) in credit.
    Please see the INIS website for further details. 

    You must renew your GNIB card annually – failure to do so will result in severe penalties. Each student is responsible for maintaining a valid immigration card. You will follow the same procedure each time. However, in subsequent years, proof of an Irish bank account with a history of three months activity will suffice for financial evidence.


  • Visa required students

    Visa required students who obtained a study visa to come to Ireland will no longer be obliged to present evidence of finance, on first registration, on the basis that the appropriate checks on finance have already been undertaken as part of the visa application process.


  • Getting Your GNIB Card: What do I need to bring with me to my appointment?

    What to bring with you to obtain your GNIB card:

    • Passport
    • Letter from DkIT to confirm you are a registered student
    • DkIT student card
    • Evidence of medical insurance
    • Bank statement or evidence that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay. The current minimum balance is €3,000 (or €1,500 if you are studying for only 1 semester). This minimum amount must be shown in an Irish bank account (NOTE: A US bank account will be accepted for US students staying for only one semester). The bank account must be in your own name. 
    • Payment of €300. This can be paid by bank giro, which is issued to you at your local Garda station. You must then take this form to a bank and pay the fee and return it to the station. You may also pay by credit card or debit card (as long as the card is a 'chip and pin' card). 


  • Do I need to do anything different if I am a scholarship student?

    In addition to the standard documentation, students in receipt of a scholarship which either part funds or fully funds both their course fees and living costs must provide a letter, issued to them by the relevant organisation confirming they are the recipient of a scholarship.


  • What do I do if I am a continuing student?

    You must renew your GNIB card annually – failure to do so will result in severe penalties. Each student is responsible for maintaining a valid immigration card. You will follow the same procedure each time. However, in subsequent years, proof of an Irish bank account with a history of three months activity will suffice for financial evidence.


  • I have a visa, do I need to contact the police in Ireland once I arrive?

    "When you arrive in Ireland, your passport will be stamped to allow you to remain in Ireland for a short period of time. You must then register with immigration in Leixlip or Dublin in order to receive your Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) card. This gives you permission to remain in Ireland while studying, and must be renewed every year.

    You should only present yourself for registration with the Immigration service after you have registered as a student at the Institute.
    When you meet the registration officer, you must provide certain information and evidence about your status (see below).  Any changes you wish to make to the length of your stay or status must be reported to immigration officials. You must also notify the registration officer if you plan to move to another Garda District, and report to the registration officer of that new district within 2 days of arriving to live there.

    Following registration with immigration officials, you will be issued with an Immigration Certificate of Registration. The amount of time it takes to issue your Certificate usually depends on which office you attend and how you pay for your Certificate. The Registration Certificate comes in the form of a small card (the size of a credit card) and includes your name, address, photograph and your residence details. It is generally called a GNIB card as it is issued by the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB).

  • If I have a visa, does this automatically allow me to invite visitors to Ireland?

    The granting of a student visa to study in Ireland does not confer the automatic right of anyone to join or visit you in Ireland (whether they are a relative or not).

    • It is not permissible for Students who come to Ireland on a Degree Programme to enrol in a Non-Degree or Language Course. Students may be permitted to undertake a foundation language course, if required, where this has been arranged in advance and has been clearly stated in any application for a visa. Similarly, students who complete a Degree Programme cannot subsequently enrol on a Language/Non Degree Programme.
    • Students must register on a full-time programme to receive a student visa. It is not permissible for a student to come to Ireland to study part-time, or by distance learning. 
    • Although students are allowed to work part-time while studying (up to a maximum of 20 hours per week), the primary purpose for a student to be in Ireland is to study on a full-time programme. Any student who wishes to work part-time must apply for and receive a PPS number.


  • How Do I Apply For A Visa?

    If you do need a Visa before entering Ireland, applications should be made directly to your nearest Irish Embassy or Consulate in your home country. 
    A List of Contact details for Irish Embassies and Consulates can be found at the website of the Department of Foreign Affairs

    The Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service website has very useful information on the visa application process, which is summarised below. Please read the full student visa guidelines carefully. 

    • The main conditions of being a Full Time Degree Programme Non EEA student are:
    • The maximum time a student may stay in Ireland for the purpose of attending courses at degree level is limited to seven years
    • A Letter of Acceptance from the college, confirming you have been accepted and enrolled on a course of full-time, day-time education
    • You must have proof that fees have been paid to the college. The full amount of the fees must be paid in advance.
    • You must show financial proof that you have access to €3,000 at first registration. This is in addition to your course fees and can be proven with bank statements or an education bond
    • All students are required to have private medical insurance, either personally or through a group scheme operated by your college, at time of registration. You can find further information on obtaining medical insurance here 


  • Do I need a Visa?

    For International Students (non-EU): After you have booked your flight tickets, you send your Arrival and Accommodation reservation form to DkIT. You can do this yourself, or with the help of your agent. The International Office will arrange for you to be collected from Dublin Airport and brought to your accommodation by taxi. You will receive a SIM card on arrival, so that you can make a phone-call to your family.