Welcome. If you are a DkIT student or staff memeber, keep reading. If you are a member of the public, check out our Culture and Community section, which explains how members of the public can use the Library space.
The Library is a teaching space in that it enables learning to happen. The Library curates the space so that learning is prioritised. We realise that learning happens in different ways – alone, silently, reading books, writing a report, working with a peer, and so on. Different spaces in the Library are designated for different types of learning. These are explained below.
Because the Library was designed for fewer readers than we currently have, we have re-evaluated what we can offer based on what is most needed, most often. We realise this means that some students will be dissatisfied but readers consistently highlight the need for quiet places to study.
To facilitate learning the Library is divided into colour-coded zones to meet different learning needs:
- Green: whisper-level zone, for groups of less than three. This covers Floor One and all areas where readers circulate.
- Gold: silent zone, for individual silent study. This covers Floor Two.
- Blue: whisper-level zone, for groups of three or more. This covers the group study rooms. Rooms are available on Floors One and Two on a walk-in basis. The Anaverna, the Ferdia and the Whitaker Rooms are also available for groups to book for one hour per group. If you are in a Group of more than four use one of these bookable rooms.
Quick Guide To Using the Space Effectively
More than 4 - Book a room
Up to 4 - Use a walk-in room or book a room
Up to 2 whispering - Floor 1
Alone - Floor 2
Remember, the Library is for learning so:
- Follow the noise level codes above
- Don't "hold onto" seats as others need them
- Take phone calls outside the Library
- Always have your mobile phone alerts on silent
- Bring your student ID card. You may be asked to show it.
- Don't bring food in
- Clean up after yourself by putting paper etc. in the bin
- Everyone needs space so collaborate and don't hold onto seat or book rooms for consecutive hours. Consecutive bookings will be cancelled. Please arrive and leave on time if you have booked a room as due to demand, an empty room will be made available to others after fifteen minutes. If you are in a Booked Room please leave it on time.
- Children under 16 must be accompanied by a supervising adult at all times in the Library.
Please read and be aware of our Code of Conduct and conditions and care required for Children using the Library.
Take a break from studying in this zone, with access to the Library Garden on Floor 1
PCs, laptops and printing
Use your own laptop to connect to the Wi-Fi or use one of the Library PCs.
The printing machines on Floor One also photocopy and scan.