Postgraduate Certificate in Computing in Medical Device Software Engineering
Three great reasons to consider this course
- Study from anywhere, this course is delivered 100% online
- Demand for graduates is at an all-time high with 9 of the world’s top 10 medical technology companies based in Ireland
- Students who complete this course can transfer to the MSc in Medical Device Software Engineering
Graduates of the programme will have an advanced level of theoretical knowledge and practice, with highly developed research capability, innovation and management skills to enable their professional development within the IT industry, in particular within the healthcare software industry.
The aim of this programme is to produce graduates with an advanced level of theoretical knowledge and practice, with highly developed research capability, innovation and management skills to enable their professional development in both the IT industry but in particular within the healthcare software industry.
With 9 of the world’s top 10 medical technology companies based in Ireland, demand for graduates is at an all-time high. The medical technology sector in Ireland is recognised as one of the five global emerging hubs which currently employs over 40,000 people.
- Developing regulatory compliant medical device software;
- Developing a quality management system for medical device software development;
- Developing medical device software using best practice lifecycle models, software design patterns and making use of refactoring techniques;
- Medical device security and privacy;
- Embedded medical device software development;
- Usability and Human-Factors for medical device software development.
- Human Computer Interaction
- Healthcare Software
- Software Design and Validation for Healthcare Software
- Research Methods, and Innovation
Total duration of 6 Months — classes will be delivered online 2 evenings per week between 6 pm and 9 pm.
Total duration of 3 Months — classes will be delivered online 4 days per week between 12 pm and 3pm.
Please note: this is an indicative timetable only
Graduates who complete this Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Device Software Engineering can transfer to the MSc in Medical Device Software Engineering at DkIT.
Examples of some of the career opportunities for graduates in this field:
- Medical Device Software Engineer
- Regulatory Quality Assurance Lead
- Product Owner/ Product Manager on a Medical Device Software Product
- Medical Device Software Researcher
- Medical Device software cybersecurity engineer
Fees for EU Applicants: €2,100
Fees for International Applicants: €4,000
- A minimum Second-Class Honours (2.2) in Computing from a recognised third level institution, or equivalent qualification in a cognate discipline, or
- A minimum Second-Class Honours (2.2) Higher Diploma in Science in Computing (or equivalent) NFQ Level 8 award.
International applicants must meet the minimum entry requirements for the programme in addition to providing evidence of proficiency in English. The English requirements are as follows:
- Grade B2 equivalent on CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) OR have achieved IELTS 6.5 (or internationally recognised equivalent). Where an applicant demonstrates evidence of having attained his/her bachelor’s degree through instruction in the English language, a grade of 6.0 may be accepted for admission to a STEM programme.
This online course would be ideal for anyone wishing to enter the healthcare software industry.
|Study Mode||Full-Time or Part-Time|
|Duration||3 - 6 months|
|Starting Date||September 2022|
|School||School of Informatics & Creative Arts|
|Department||Visual and Human-Centred Computing|
|Awarding Body||Dundalk Institute of Technology|
|Apply to||Dundalk Institute of Technology|
How to Apply
You should apply using the DkIT Postgraduate Application (see the download button below). Please include an up-to-date CV with your application form and send your completed application to Admissions Office, Dundalk Institute of Technology, Dublin Road, Dundalk, Co. Louth.
For more information, please visit the How to Apply Section.