Higher Diploma in Science in Augmented and Virtual Reality Development
Three great reasons to consider this course
- Learn cutting edge industry skills in the rapidly developing area of Immersive Technologies
- Designed specifically for those who cannot commit to full-time study
- Delivered via blended learning (80% online; 20% face-to-face)
The Higher Diploma in Science in AR and VR Development is an NFQ Level 8 two-year part-time course that will provide students with the knowledge, skills and competencies to design, develop and evaluate immersive user experiences with virtual, augmented and mixed reality technologies. The course is developed with the support of a range of companies and organisations working in the field of immersive technologies.
Important notice about this course
NOW ENROLLING FOR JANUARY 2021
Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR) and Mixed Reality (MR), collectively referred to as Immersive Technologies, are changing the way people and enterprises communicate, interact, and consume content. Immersive technologies, which are being deployed in a variety of application domains (Gaming, Entertainment, Retail, Advertising, Real-Estate, Healthcare, Education, Engineering, Robotics, Tourism) are disrupting, transforming and reshaping existing markets while at the same time facilitating and driving the creation of new markets.
This part-time blended mode (80% online, 20% face-to-face) and will be ideally suited to those who cannot commit to full-time study. Online learning will be supported using the Institute's online Virtual Learning Environment (Moodle).
The course will be delivered over 2 years (4 semesters) in part-time blended mode (80% online, 20% face-to-face) and will be ideally suited to those who cannot commit to full-time study.
Online learning will take place three evenings per week typically between 6:00pm – 9:00pm. For face-to-face learning attendance is required on the DkIT campus one Saturday per month (maximum three times per semester). Online learning will be supported using the Institute's online Virtual Learning Environment Moodle.
This flexible delivery model is used to ensure that every opportunity is given to students to participate in the course, particularly in the context of upskilling and reskilling for those in employment.
Graduates of the course will gain the knowledge, skills and competencies to design, develop and evaluate immersive user experiences with virtual, augmented and mixed reality technologies and will be equipped to follow career paths such as:
- 3D Digital Artist - Creating high standard animation for immersive technology platforms, showcasing a variety of animation performance while applying the principles of animation.
- 2D Visual and UX Designer - Designing and evaluating user experiences for immersive technology platforms.
- Interactive Programmer - Developing interactivity for immersive technology platforms.
- Technical Director (Tools / Pipeline) - Developing and integrating tools into a robust pipeline, involved in ‘in-studio’ tool development.
- Immersive Content Writer - Design, create and develop narrative for immersive technology platforms.
- Immersive Director - Designing solutions for the Visual Effects in Animation and Film.
- Project Manager - Manage all aspects of the production pipeline for immersive experiences.
Total course fee: €3,750
Application Fee: €50 (non-refundable if you are made an offer of a place)
Accept Offer Fee: €100 (non-refundable)
Instalment 1 = €900 is payable by 28th February 2021
Instalment 2 = €900 is payable by 31st October 2021
Instalment 3 = €900 is payable by 28th February 2022
Instalment 4 = €900 is payable by 31st October 2022
Applicants must possess an Honours Bachelor Degree (NFQ Level 8) or equivalent in the field of study of Art, Design, Computing, Engineering or a cognate discipline.
Applicants who do not meet the academic entry requirements but who have significant relevant experience in the technology or media sectors can apply under the Institute’s Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) policy that allows for the recognition of both formal and informal learning, non-accredited personal and professional education and work-based learning.
The course provides upskilling and reskilling opportunities to meet current and emerging skills gaps in the areas of immersive technologies (VR/AR/MR).
|School||School of Informatics & Creative Arts|
|Department||Visual and Human-Centred Computing|
|Starting Date||w/c Monday 25th January 2021|
|Apply to||Dundalk Institute of Technology|
How to Apply
You can enrol online for this using the button below: