Certificate in Programming
This 1-year part-time course in Programming aims to train you to combine the power of your mind and your experience as a web user to create beautiful and exciting webpages and projects. We teach you how to think through a project clearly and break it down into a series of steps or instructions. Then we teach you how to turn these instructions into lines of code. A program is just a collection of lines of code.
Like most people, you probably spend a significant part of your life on the Internet. It is amazing what you can do online these days. You have probably looked at a hundred thousand webpages and logged in to Facebook or email thousands of times. So you actually know a lot about what happens on the web.
Perhaps you would like to understand how it all works but are a bit intimidated by it all? Or perhaps you know a bit but don’t know how it fits in with the bigger picture?
The Certificate in Programming will bring you from zero to hero in this regard. You will learn how to combine the power of your mind and your experience as a web user to create beautiful and exciting webpages and projects. We teach you how to think through a project clearly and break it down into a series of steps or instructions. Then we teach you how to turn these instructions into lines of code. A program is just a collection of lines of code.
Modules taught include:
- Introduction to Web Development: You will also be introduced to creating visual content for client-side webpages, structuring your visual and text content on a webpage (HTML5 code) and styling a webpage (CSS code), as well as linking your website to a simple database. Find out more about this module here.
- Procedural Programming: Not all code is written for the web. This module introduces you the most widely-used programming language, Java. You will build on your introductory programming knowledge and become competent and confident coders. Find out more about this module here.
Classes run on Monday and Wednesday evenings 6.00pm to 9.00pm for two semesters.
This course is delivered using a blended learning approach with a series of interactive and hands-on in-class sessions in addition to intensive online learning.
If successful with this certificate, you will be able to create intermediate level client-server websites and Java programs, skills that industry is crying out for both in Ireland and across the world.
You can also continue your studies here at DkIT, either:
- By taking another part-time Certificate (e.g. Database Development)
- Or by upgrading to a full-time degree level programme at DkIT.
Standard Level 7 Entry Requirements:
- Six passes in the Leaving Certificate (including Mathematics and either English or Irish) and either one Grade C3 in a Higher Level Paper or an overall points total of 200.
- Mature students are not required to have the minimum Leaving Certificate required, but should provide any relevant additional information in support of their application. Mature students may be interviewed.
This course would be of interest to individuals hoping to pursue a career in or with computing, in particular in the fields of software development, web development or databases, this is the starting point for you.
|School||School of Informatics & Creative Arts|
|Department||Computing Science and Mathematics|
|Awarding Body||Dundalk Institute of Technology|
|Starting Date||Week beginning Monday 1st October 2018|
How to Apply
Interested students can enrol online by clicking the link below: