Certificate in Programming
Four great reasons to consider this course
- This course provides an up-skilling opportunity for those wishing to develop IT skills.
- You will build foundation skills in web-development and programming.
- The course is practically focused and will help participants develop critical thinking and analytical skills crucial for the workplace of today.
- It is a good first step for those considering a change of career towards the IT Sector.
The Certificate in Programming is an introductory one-year part-time programme in which participants develop basic skills in programming, web development and databases. It aims to provide participants with the foundation skills to design and develop simple database web applications. Such skills are highly relevant in the business sector, they can be utilised within current employment settings and allow for improved mobility of participants.
Important notice about this course
NOW ENROLLING FOR AUTUMN
ICT skills at all levels are in high demand. This programme is at an introductory level and will produce graduates who will be able to create intermediate level client-server websites and program at a basic level, skills that are required by industry, in Ireland and across the world.
It aims to train you to combine the power of your mind and your experience as a web-user to create beautiful and exciting webpages and projects. You will learn how to think through a project clearly, break it down into a series of steps or instructions and turn these instructions into lines of code.
Graduates will gain valuable skills in Web development and interaction with database design and implementation. This will position graduates with the required skills to obtain employment in a web application development environment.
Modules taught include:
- Introduction to Web Development: In this module you will be introduced to creating visual content for client-side webpages, structuring your visual and text content on a webpage (HTML5 code) and styling a webpage (CSS code).
- Programming Principles: Not all code is written for the web. You will build on your introductory programming knowledge and become a competent and confident coder. Students completing this module will be capable of using a problem-solving approach to the design, build and testing of solutions to fundamental programming problems.
Classes run on Monday and Wednesday evenings 6.00pm to 9.00pm for two semesters. This course is delivered using a blended learning approach with weekly interactive and hands-on practical lab-based sessions supported by independent and online learning.
If successful on this certificate, you will be able to create intermediate level client-server websites and to program at an introductory level, skills that highly sought-after by industry.
You can also continue your studies here at DkIT, either:
- By taking another part-time Certificate (e.g. Networking and Systems Administration)
- Or by upgrading to a full-time degree level programme at DkIT.
The course fee is €1,000. The fee is payable as follows:
- Payment 1: Application Fee = €50 (Refundable if you are not made an offer of a place on the course)
- Payment 2: Accept Offer Fee = €100 (Non-refundable)
- Payment 3 of €350 is payable by 31st October 2019
- Payment 4 of €500 is payable by 28th February 2020
DkIT standard entry requirements onto a level 6 programme are:
- Five Grades at O6 or H7 in Leaving Certificate
- AND Mathematics Grade F2, O6 or H7
- AND English Grade O6 or H7
- OR Irish Grade O6 or H7
Mature students are not required to have the minimum Leaving Certificate requirements but should provide any relevant additional information in support of their application. Mature students may be interviewed.
This course would be of interest to individuals hoping to pursue a career in Computing, particularly in the fields of software development or web development. This introductory programme provides a starting point for a move to the IT sector.
|School||School of Informatics & Creative Arts|
|Department||Computing Science and Mathematics|
|Awarding Body||Dundalk Institute of Technology|
|Starting Date||23rd September 2019 at 6pm|
How to Apply
You can enrol online for this course via the button below: