Certificate in Foundations of Cloud Computing
Two great reasons to consider this course
- If you are a Computing graduate interested in learning more about Cloud-Technologies and building skills in aspects of Data Centre Operations this course may be of interest to you.
- This part-time programme provides participants with specialist knowledge in Cloud Technologies and aspects of Data Centre Operations which are becoming crucial as more and more companies move their central IT to the cloud.
This is one-year, part-time level 8 programme focusing on Cloud technologies and Data Centre Operations. The overall aim of this programme is to produce Computing graduates with a specialisation in different aspects of Data Centre Operations.
Important notice about this course
This programme has a specific focus on Cloud based architectures and the operational requirements resulting from the transfer of enterprise applications into the cloud. Graduates will be capable of thriving in a constantly connected, constantly changing technological landscape.
This programme will enhance participants scripting skills with Cloud technologies and techniques while affording them an increased appreciation of the wider social, business, architectural and development context in which they will work. The course will produce perceptive, adaptable graduates, competent to prosper in employment, research or business.
Such graduates are in demand by small and large data centre operators and even more so by companies that move their central IT into the cloud, data centre customers.
This course is comprised of the following modules:
- Data Centre Infrastructure. (5 credits): Current trends including expansion of data collection, continued growth of e-Commerce and the large-scale adoption of cloud computing have fuelled the need for scalable computing density, efficiency and reliability. Data centres have become a critical component in fulfilling these needs in centralised, onsite and edge locations. This module introduces concepts in the data centre infrastructure and goes through the stack from building facilities to service delivery covering key technologies, operations, standards and management best practices.
- Virtual Server Technology. (5 credits): This module aims to identify the need for virtualization environments in a business. Students will carry out a comprehensive evaluation of all virtual environments under various categories. Students will evaluate and examine Virtual concepts such as Virtual Networks, Hardware, Processing and Deployment.
- Cloud Architecture. (10 credits): This is a year-long module covering Cloud concepts (concepts, service models and benefits), technologies and patterns. Students will learn how to design cloud-first architecture, automate provisioning, deployment, scaling and monitoring operations and evaluate the suitability of commercial cloud platforms.
- Data Storage Technologies. (5 credits): This module will examine the importance of information/data storage, technologies and architecture in an ever-changing IT environment. Students will gain a comprehensive understanding of the various storage technologies and devices as well as an evaluation of data storage concepts and architecture. Students will plan design and implement a backup strategy while incorporating key concepts such as redundancy, replication and de-duplication. Examining cloud-based data storage architecture and security in the evolving world of Virtualization storage technologies.
- Enterprise Governance & Compliance. (5 credits): Students completing this module will understand the issues and techniques relating to the design, implementation and management of large-scale distributed strategic enterprise systems in a globalised-environments.
This short course will be delivered during day-time hours over two semesters through a combination of formal lectures – focused on theory and practical lab-based sessions – involving demonstrations, tutorial and practical work. Participants will also be required to work independently.
Graduates with such skills are in demand by small and large data centre operators and also by companies that move their central IT into the cloud, data centre customers.
The course fee is €1,500. The fee is payable as follows:
- Payment 1: Application Fee = €50 (Refundable if you are not made an offer of a place on the course)
- Payment 2: Accept Offer Fee = €100 (Non-refundable)
- Payment 3 of €600 is payable by 31st October 2019
- Payment 4 of €750 is payable by 28th February 2020
Candidates must hold a level 7 qualification in Computing with a GPA of 50 (ordinary degree or equivalent as determined under Academic Council approved Recognition of Prior Learning policy).
This course would be of interest to Computing Graduates wishing to gain additional knowledge and skill in the specialist area of Cloud Concepts and Technologies and Data Centre Operations.
|School||School of Informatics & Creative Arts|
|Department||Computing Science and Mathematics|
|Awarding Body||Dundalk Institute of Technology|
|Starting Date||w/c 16th September 2019|