BSc (Hons) in Science with 2 Award options: Biopharmaceutical Science / Environmental Bioscience
The aim of this four-year level 8 Science course is to produce graduates with the knowledge, skills and competencies to respond effectively to current and future developments in the Biopharmaceutical or Environmental Bioscience sectors. Entry into this common entry level 8 Science course allows you the opportunity to experience both areas before specialising into their preferred Award option in year 3, namely Biopharmaceutical Science or Environmental Bioscience.
This common entry Science course will provide you with the skills and knowledge to work in either the Biopharmaceutical OR Environmental Science sector.
Years one and two of this Science course will focus on the fundamental sciences and will include some specific Biopharmaceutical and Environmental content, to allow you to choose your preferred career pathway.
In years three and four the students will specialise into their preferred stream leading to one of 2 Award options as follows:
Biopharmaceutical Science: Students will gain knowledge and skills in a number of areas, including Biotechnology, Pharmacology, Biotherapeutics, Pharmaceutical Manufacturing, Regulatory Affairs, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Chemistry, Quality Management, Biopharmaceutical Processing and Research.
Environmental Bioscience: Students will gain knowledge and skills in a number of areas, including Ecology, Biotechnology, Environmental Monitoring and Modelling, Aquatic Sciences, Plant Science, Ecotoxicology, Soil and Water Management, Microbiology, Data Analysis, Molecular Biology, Environmental Chemistry, Quality Management, Risk Assessment and Research.
This level 8 common entry Science course is particularly suitable for students who have an interest in the Life Sciences Sector, including Industry and Research.
Graduates have opportunities for employment in the following sectors:
· Biomedical; Pharmaceutical
· Medical Devices
· Health Care
Graduates will be able to progress to Level 9 taught postgraduate courses and Level 9 and 10 research courses, either within DkIT or other HEIs.
Leaving Certificate Entry Requirements:
Six Grades at O6 or H7 in Leaving Certificate including:
- At least two H5 Grades
- AND Mathematics Grade O6 or H7
- AND English Grade O6 or H7 OR Irish Grade O6 or H7
- PLUS Minimum Points Score of 300.
Northern Ireland/UK Entry Requirements:
Applicants must meet the matriculation requirement of 6 different subjects which must include:
- Mathematics at GCSE (Grade A* - C) or better
- English (or Irish) at GCSE (Grade A* - C) or better
- Two subjects at either:
- ‘A Level’ (Grade A* - C)
- AND/OR Applied A-Level (Grade A* - C)
- AND/OR BTEC National Level 3 (National Award, Subsidiary Diploma, Extended Certificate, 90-Credit Diploma, Foundation Diploma) (Grade Merit or Distinction).
- AND/OR OCR Cambridge Technical Level 3 (Introductory Diploma, Extended Certificate, Subsidiary Diploma, Foundation Diploma, 90-Credit Diploma) (Grade Merit or Distinction)
- OR BTEC National Level 3 Diploma (Grade min: MM)
- OR OCR Cambridge Technical Level 3 Diploma (Grade min: MM)
- OR BTEC National Level 3 Extended Diploma (Grade min: MMP)
- The remaining subjects must be different from that presented above and may be drawn from recognised subjects at:
- GCSE (Grade A* - C)
- AND/OR AS Level’ (Grades A - E)
- AND/OR A-level’ (Grades A* - E)
- AND/OR Applied ‘A-level’ (Grade A* - E)
- AND/OR BTEC National Level 3 (National Award, Subsidiary Diploma, Extended Certificate, 90-Credit Diploma, Foundation Diploma, Diploma or Extended Diploma*) (Pass, Merit or Distinction).
- AND/OR OCR Cambridge Technical Level 3 (Introductory Diploma, Extended Certificate, Subsidiary Diploma, Foundation Diploma, 90-Credit Diploma, Diploma or Extended Diploma*) (Pass, Merit or Distinction).
- And a minimum score of 300 points
International students must have a minimum level of English equivalent to IELTS 6.0 A Leaving Certificate or A-level science subject is not required but is recommended. Please consult here.
For more information, please click here.
|School||School of Health & Science|
|Awarding Body||Dundalk Institute of Technology|
How to Apply
All applications for this course must be made directly to the CAO by using the course ID
Northern Ireland & UK
Applicants from Northern Ireland/UK must also apply through CAO. Find out more information about
applying to DkIT from Northern Ireland or the UK.