COVID-19 Updates:  See latest information for 2020/21 applicants, DkIT staff and students via our dedicated webpage  Read More.

new course

Certificate in Wind-Energy

Course Points
30 ECTS Credits
Course Duration
One academic semester or one academic year
Course Level
Level 9
Course Start Date
January 2021

Three great reasons to consider this course

  • Graduates will have: A comprehensive understanding of wind energy and the associated challenges.
  • Graduates will have: Solved a number of complex problems by applying state-of-the-art techniques to wind energy systems.
  • Graduates will have: An understanding of energy policy and its role in renewable energy development.

Course Summary

Dundalk Institute of Technology (DkIT) has received additional funding for free postgraduate and modular upskilling programmes as part of the Government July Stimulus Provision. The July Stimulus Provision will help get Ireland's businesses back on their feet and get as many people as possible back to work quickly. The initiative offers funded postgraduate opportunities for the unemployed and those in employment pay 10%. This programme focuses on the crucial aspects associated with development and operation of wind energy systems for electrical power generation. A student on the programme will undertake modules comprising fundamental and advanced topics relating to wind energy, such as aerodynamics, resource assessment, economics, environmental aspects, wind turbine siting, etc. This programme places a particular emphasis on energy policy and some of the important aspects of integrating wind energy systems to the national grid.

Important notice about this course

NOW ENROLLING FOR JANUARY 2021

The course provides the student with a theoretical understanding of the aspects that comprise a wind energy system from a technical and economic standpoint. The programme explores energy policy and how policy can affect renewable energy development. There are four modules on this programme, each worth 7.5 ECTS credits. This course is highly focused on wind energy with two modules solely concentrated on the most pertinent technical aspects of wind energy, i.e. Wind Energy 1 & 2. The Energy Policy & Economics module, delivered on this programme, broadens the focus by exploring the effects of energy policy on the development of wind energy. The programme also contains a module that explores the challenges of integrating renewable energy systems to the national grid.

This programmes includes the following modules:

  • Wind Energy 1
  • Wind Energy 2
  • Energy Policy and Economics
  • Power Systems Integration of Renewables

Full-time and part-time delivery

The wind energy industry, nationally and internationally, particularly offshore wind energy which has seen a significant increase in development in recent years. It is expected that further career opportunities will become available in the coming years as energy policy focuses on offshore wind energy development.

MSc in Wind Energy, MSc in Renewable Energy Systems, Postgraduate Research

Candidates must hold a Level 8 Honours Degree in Engineering, or in the Physical or Chemical Sciences. The award must be Honours 2.1 or above. Science disciplines are restricted to: Experimental Physics, Applied Physics, Physical Chemistry, Materials Science, General Chemistry, Building Services, Telecommunications or similar.

Eligibility for funding can be found here: Funded Modular and Postgraduate Opportunities / Postgraduate / DkIT - Dundalk Institute of Technology

There is no work placement as part of this programme.

Colman Ledwith (Head of Department of Electrical & Mechanical Engineering)
Phone: +353 (0)429370274
Email: colman.ledwith@dkit.ie

Dr Fergal O'Rourke (Lecturer - School of Engineering)
Phone: 0429370200 ext 2695
Email: fergal.orourke@dkit.ie

Course ID DK_EWIND_9
Level 9
Duration One academic semester or one academic year
Credits 30 ECTS Credits
School School of Engineering
Department Electronic and Mechanical Engineering
Awarding Body Dundalk Institute of Technology
Fees This course qualifies for fee support under the July stimulus (education) package announced recently by the government. This programme is available with 90%-100% government funding depending on which category you are eligible to apply under. For those eligible for the 90% funding the remaining 10% cost payable by the student would be €255. See details on eligibility below
Starting Date January 2021
Apply to DkIT

How to Apply

You should apply using the DkIT Funded Postgraduate and Modular Programme Application Form: July Stimulus Form