Higher Certificate in Arts in Culinary Arts (Part-time)
Four great reasons to consider this course
- This programme is designed for those who wish to work as a chef in the hospitality sector or the contract catering sector .
- This programme allows you to work in and study (earn and learn) for a full level 6 award.
- The programme is a good mix of lecture-based classes and practical classes.
- Opportunities to progress to Level 7 and 8 programmes are available with successful completion of this programme.
This two year certificate course is for individuals with a passion for and interest in culinary arts and food. If your aim is to become a ‘top chef‘ either at home or abroad, this is the course for you. The course prepares you for employment as a professional chef in the tourism and hospitality industry.
Important notice about this course
The programme is designed to prepare learners for a successful career in the culinary arts industry, through the development of a high level of professional skills coupled with academic and personal development.
The programme is designed in two streams:
→ The Culinary Arts Stream
→ Business and Professional Development Stream
The culinary stream provides students with the skills and knowledge to work competently in the culinary industry. Modules in Culinary Fundamentals provide learners with the foundation skills and knowledge, supported by modules of health and safety, and nutrition.
Modules in Classical cuisine, International cuisine and Contemporary cuisine enable students to hone their skills and build individual style and flair. Through the Business and Professional Development modules students will develop an understanding of all aspects of verbal, non-verbal and digital communications.
- Culinary Fundamentals 1
- Culinary Arts Principles
- Food Safety
- Culinary Fundamentals 2
- Academic and Career Skills
- Digital Skills for Tourism
- Culinary Nutrition
- Restaurant Service
- Classical Cuisine
- Fundamentals of Accounting
- Introduction to the Tourism Industry
- International Cuisine
- Contemporary Cuisine
- Financially Based Decision Making
- Foundations of Gastronomy
- The Art of Garde Manager
- Learning Event
Work Based Learning will be assessed throughout the programme
This two-year part-time programme combines college-based education in culinary operations with work-based learning in industry.
The course will be delivered during the day-time over 2 to 2.5 days per week followed by a full-time work experience module. Proposed teaching days per week are Monday and Tuesday (subject to change).
Please note that these arrangements may be subject to changes due to the Covid-19 situation.
Graduates of the programme will have the knowledge, skills and competencies to work as a chef in a wide range of areas in the Culinary Arts sector including:
- Coffee Shops
- Industrial Catering
- Hospitals and other Health Care Facilities
Graduates of the Higher Certificate in Culinary Arts can progress on to year three of the BA in Culinary Arts
The total course fee is €3000 payable over 2 years.
Year 1 fees are payable as follows:
- Payment 1: Application Fee = €50 (Refundable if you are not made an offer of a place on the course)
- Payment 2: Accept Offer Fee = €100 (Non-refundable)
- Payment 3 of €600 is payable by 31st October 2020
- Payment 4 of €750 is payable by 28th February 2021
Leaving Certificate Entry Requirements:
- Five Grades at O6 or H7 in Leaving Certificate
- INCLUDING English Grade O6 or H7
- OR Irish Grade O6 or H7
Applicants from QQI FET programmes require a full level 5 award. Mature applicants, those over 23 will be assessed through the institute's mature application process. Applicants with the relevant experience can be assessed through the Institute's RPL process.
Northern Ireland/UK Entry Requirements:
Applicants must meet the matriculation requirement of 5 different subjects which must include:
- Mathematics at GCSE (Grade A* - C) or better
- English (or Irish) at GCSE (Grade A* - C) or better
- One subject at either:
- ‘A Level’ (Grade A* - C or better)
- OR Applied A-Level (Grade A* - E)
- OR BTEC National Level 3 (National Award, Subsidiary Diploma, Extended Certificate, 90-Credit Diploma, Foundation Diploma, Diploma or Extended Diploma) (Pass,Merit or Distinction).
- OR OCR Cambridge Technical Level 3 (Introductory Diploma, Extended Certificate, Subsidiary Diploma, Foundation Diploma, 90-Credit Diploma, Diploma or Extended Diploma) (Pass, Merit or Distinction)
- The remaining subjects must be different from those listed above and may be drawn from recognised subjects at:
- GCSE (Grade A* - C)
- AND/OR AS Level’ (Grades A - E)
- AND/OR A-level’ (Grades A* - E)
- AND/OR Applied ‘A-level’ (Grade A* - E)
- AND/OR BTEC National Level 3 (National Award, Subsidiary Diploma, Extended Certificate, 90-Credit Diploma, Foundation Diploma, Diploma or Extended Diploma*) (Pass, Merit or Distinction).
- AND/OR OCR Cambridge Technical Level 3 (Introductory Diploma, Extended Certificate, Subsidiary Diploma, Foundation Diploma, 90-Credit Diploma, Diploma or Extended Diploma*) (Pass, Merit or Distinction).
It is a requirement for anyone taking this programme to be working in the Culinary Arts industry.
Those who wish to build a career as a chef in the Culinary Arts industry either in the hotel and restaurant sector, the contract catering sector or the wider food service sector.
This programme is aimed at those already working in the area of culinary arts and food preparation.
|School||School of Business & Humanities|
|Awarding Body||Dundalk Institute of Technology|
|Fees||€1,500 per annum.|
|Starting Date||28th September 2020|