Certificate in Accounting
Three great reasons to consider this course
- Gain insights into the role of financial and management accounting, basic concepts underlying the provision of financial information, basic accounting and transactional techniques.
- Learn the fundamental principles of accounting, through the embedding of key skills, to perform a set of accounting tasks relevant to trading entities.
- Gain insights into the interpretation of financial statistics, cash flows and profit and loss accounts.
The aim of this part-time Certificate in Accounting course is to facilitate an appreciation of the fundamental principles of accounting and to enable a Graduate of this Certificate, through the embedding of key skills, to perform a set of accounting tasks that are relevant to trading entities.
Important notice about this course
NOW ENROLLING FOR AUTUMN
On successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Apply accounting double-entry book-keeping and conventions underlying the preparation of the financial statements, and make relevant adjustments to the trial balance to produce a set of financial statements.
- Execute internal controls including stock valuation techniques and undertake simple control procedures such as various types of reconciliations.
- Prepare financial accounts for different types of trading entities, namely Limited Companies & Sole Traders.
- Appreciate the difference between Cash and Profit by preparing a basic cash flow statement in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Interpret financial statements by ratio analysis.
- Distinguish between various cost behaviours & employ techniques to segregate fixed and Variable costs.
This course will cover a wide range of accounting principles and techniques including:
- Describe the role and scope of financial & management accounting.
- Understand the basic concepts that underlie the provision of financial information.
- Prepare a set of basic accounts from original transactions.
- Interpret financial statements using ratios.
- Demonstrate differences between cash flow and profit.
- Value stock under methods such as FIFO & LIFO.
- Use Techniques like Hi Lo to segregate Fixed and Variable Costs.
The mode of delivery is part-time in the evenings (6.30-9.30pm) over 2 semesters with some blended via DkIT Moodle.
Assessment of this Certificate will comprise course work and an examination.
Exams take place in January and May.
Graduates of this Certificate in Accounting may be eligible for exemptions on other similar programmes within DkIT and with other providers.
Learners who successfully complete this Certificate will be offered the relevant module exemption from the DkIT BBS part-time degree.
Learners completing this may also apply to the full-time BB in Business & Management programme and, provided they meet entry criteria for that programme, will be offered exemptions for the relevant module that they have successfully completed
€50 Application fee (refundable if you are not made an offer)
€100 Accept Offer fee (non refundable)
Balance of €600 payable by 31st October 2020
Total fee = €750
All applicants will normally hold a relevant level 5 qualification (or equivalent) or higher.
This course is best-suited to:
Students who wish to gain insights into the role of financial and management accounting, basic concepts underlying the provision of financial information, basic accounting and transactional techniques.
- Students will gain insights into the interpretation of financial statistics, cash flows and profit and loss accounts.
- Students who wish to gain an appreciation of the fundamental principles of accounting which enable the learner, through the embedding of key skills, to perform a set of accounting tasks relevant to trading entities.
|School||School of Business & Humanities|
|Awarding Body||Dundalk Institute of Technology|
|Starting Date||21st September 2020 at 6.30pm|
How to Apply
Apply online using the button below: