MSc in Professional Nursing
Three great reasons to consider this course
- Gain greater knowledge with a practice orientated programme.
- This programme is delivered via a blend of online and face-to-face delivery to allow greater flexibility to learners.
- Completion of this programme will enhance your career opportunities allowing greater potential for career progression.
The aim of this programme is to provide an accessible, innovative, flexible and practice-orientated sustainable programme that will attract and retain nurses who will continue to work as Nurses within an integrated health service. The programme will enhance professional practice, patient safety and the education, administration and research capacity of the learner.
The Masters of Science in Professional Nursing will be offered to qualified, experienced nurses who wish to develop their knowledge, skills and competencies. The programme provides the nurse with a broad based educational experience to practice at an advanced level incorporating key concepts such as advanced decision making, professional leadership, evidence based practice, professional ethics, research knowledge and skills.
The proposed programme was developed in partnership with educational institutions, health care service providers and learners nationally. This was achieved by the Dundalk Institute of Technology working in collaboration and partnership with representatives from Departments of Nursing within each of the Institutes of Technology in Ireland namely Letterkenny Institute of Technology (LKIT), Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology (GMIT), Athlone Institute of Technology (AIT), Institute of Technology Tralee (ITT) and Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT).
This programme is comprised of the following modules:
- Leadership and Decision Making for Advanced Practice (10 ECTS)
- Advanced Practice in Person Centered Integrated Care (10 ECTS)
- Quality and Innovation (10 ECTS)
- Research Methods of Evidence Based Practice (10 ECTS)
- The Fundamentals of Professional Practice (10 ECTS)
- Elective Module (10 ECTS)
- Generating Evidence for the Healthcare Setting (30 ECTS )
This programme will be delivered via a blend of face-to-face and online delivery.
The programme provides the nurse with a broad based educational experience to practice at an advanced level.
Graduates of this Programme will be able to progress to level 10 (PhD) programmes. In addition, they may avail of Level 10 research opportunities in DkIT.
To be eligible for this programme applicants must:
- Be registered Nurse with NMBI
- Be currently employed in health care provision
- Hold a level 8 qualification
*Applicants who do not have a level 8 qualification may apply for entry to the programme in accordance with the procedures outlined in the DkIT Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) policy.
Due to the blended learning delivery within this course students should have access to a PC / Mac, a headset with a mic, and a broadband internet connection from home, so as to be able to fully participate in the course.
- Basic IT skills are essential to complete this programme.
- Applicants may be interviewed.
|Starting Date||September 2022|
|School||School of Health & Science|
|Department||Nursing, Midwifery and Early Years|
|Awarding Body||Dundalk Institute of Technology|
How to Apply
Applications for this programme will open in Spring 2022.
If you have any questions about this programme, please use the 'Enquire about the course' button below.