BSc in Pharmaceutical Science
This three-year degree course will provide students with the skills and knowledge to work in the rapidly expanding (Bio)Pharmaceutical Industry in Ireland and worldwide.
Years one and two focus on the fundamental sciences and in Year Three there is an emphasis on relevant applied modules including Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Pharmacology, Pharmaceutical Manufacturing, Regulatory Affairs and Quality Management.
As well as getting a good grounding in all science subjects, you will learn how drugs and other medical products are manufactured and about drug regulatory issues. There is an option for graduates of this course to specialise further by progression onto an Honours degree course at DkIT in Biopharmaceutical Science.
Science is not just about what you study, but how you study it.
- Physics through Problem-Based Learning 1
- Mathematics 1
- Fundamental Chemistry
- Health & Safety and Academic Skills (year-long)
- Biology (year-long)
- Physics through Problem-Based Learning 2
- Mathematics 2
- Health and Safety and Academic Skills (year-long)
- Biology (year-long)
- Introduction to Organic Chemistry
- Pharmaceutical Microbiology
- Analytical Science
- Pharmaceutical Processing
- Molecular Biology
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Statistics & Data Analysis
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturing
- Regulatory Affairs & GMP Compliance
- Literature Research Project Elective
- Electives: Pharmacopoeial Characterisation // Pharmaceutical Biotechnology
- Quality Management
- Pharmaceutical Analysis and Validation
- Physiology and Pharmacology
- Electives: Biopharmaceutical Therapeutics // Pharmaceutical Drug Design
* All module titles are subject to change and are for indicative purposes only. The provision of electives each year is subject to numbers enrolling on each elective and available resources.
The Pharmaceutical Science course is delivered through a mixture of lectures, practicals and tutorials. Practicals include laboratory work. This programme contains a high level of hands-on experience at every level.
At DkIT we employ modern teaching methods and technology to promote active and engaged learning and develop transferable skills.
This course aims to educate and train scientists for employment in the pharmaceutical and chemical industries, a major growth area of economic and strategic importance both in Ireland and Worldwide.
There are excellent career opportunities for graduates as:
- Lab Technician
- Quality Control / Assurance Analyst
- Process Development Technician
- Project Assistant
- Research Assistant
- Validation/Manufacturing Technician
Graduates from this programme will have an opportunity to progress to the following Honours Degree programmes in DkIT:
- Progression onto year 4 of the BSc (Honours) in Science: Biopharmaceutical Science Award.
- Progression onto BSc (Hons) in Food and Agri-Business - add-on programme, subject to suitable experience/background in Agriculture or Food-related area(s).
- Progression onto relevant National or International B.Sc. (Hons) programmes
Leaving Certificate Entry Requirements:
Six Grades at O6 or H7 in Leaving Certificate
→ INCLUDING At least one H5 Grade, OR Minimum Points Score of 200
→ AND Mathematics Grade F2, O6 or H7
→ AND English Grade O6 or H7 OR Irish Grade O6 or H7
→ A Leaving Certificate science subject is desirable.
Northern Ireland/UK Entry Requirements:
Applicants must meet the matriculation requirement of 5 different subjects which must include:
→ Mathematics at GCSE (Grade A* - C or better)
→ English (or Irish) at GCSE (Grade A* - C or better)
→ One subject at:
- 'A Level’ (Grade A* - E or better)
- OR Applied A-Level (Grade A* - E)
- OR BTEC National Level 3 (National Award, Subsidiary Diploma, Extended Certificate, 90-Credit Diploma, Foundation Diploma, Diploma or Extended Diploma) (Pass, Merit or Distinction).
- OR OCR Cambridge Technical Level 3 (Introductory Diploma, Extended Certificate, Subsidiary Diploma, Foundation Diploma, 90-Credit Diploma, Diploma or Extended Diploma) (Pass, Merit or Distinction).
→ The remaining subjects must be different from those listed above and may be drawn from recognised subjects at:
- GCSE (Grade A* - C)
- AND/OR 'AS Level’ (Grades A - E)
- AND/OR ‘A-level’ (Grades A* - E)
- AND/OR Applied ‘A-level’ (Grade A* - E)
- AND/OR BTEC National Level 3 (National Award, Subsidiary Diploma, Extended Certificate, 90-Credit Diploma, Foundation Diploma, Diploma or Extended Diploma*) (Pass, Merit or Distinction).
- AND/OR OCR Cambridge Technical Level 3 (Introductory Diploma, Extended Certificate, Subsidiary Diploma, Foundation Diploma, 90-Credit Diploma, Diploma or Extended Diploma*) (Pass, Merit or Distinction).
The Pharmaceutical Science Degree at DkIT prepares you for the jobs of the future!
Students who enjoy a high level of practical (laboratory) work, combined with supporting theory would benefit from this course.
|School||School of Health & Science|
|Department||Life and Health Sciences|
|Awarding Body||Dundalk Institute of Technology|
How to Apply
You can apply for this course directly via CAO by clicking the button below: