You will find in this article information that might help you to know when and how you should refer a student to the Careers Service.
You should consider referring a student if they :
- Are considering leaving college before they sit their examinations
- Are considering changing course
- Thinking about changing career direction
- Want information on post graduate study in a similar field or something completely different
- Want advice on applications – jobs and further study
- Want help with CV and cover letter preparation
- Want information on job seeking strategies
- Information on Graduate Training Programmes
- Want a mock interview
How to make a referral?
You can suggest the student to drop in or make an appointment or if you wish to provide more direct assistance, call the careers office while the student is with you in order to ensure that an appointment is made. Write down the appointment details for the student. If the situation is urgent state that “the student needs an appointment immediately”.
Services offered by the Careers Office:
Drop in Service: A Careers Team member is available throughout the academic year to answer your careers queries, help you to explore your careers interests, evaluate and assess your career opportunities and effectively implement your further study decisions. Come to the Careers Office, which is situated in the Student Services Centre, Padraig Faulkner Building. Opening Hours for appointment: Monday and Friday afternoons: 2.15pm - 4.15pm, Tuesday and Thursday mornings: 11.15am - 12.45pm and Wednesday afternoon: Drop in (no need for an appointment). The Careers Office is open Monday to Friday for any other career information or documentation that you may require.
Consultation: A Careers Adviser is available throughout the academic year for consultations. Please arrange appointments in advance when possible by contacting the Career Queries Desk (Drop in, phone or email).
Summer Service: The DkIT Careers Office is open over the summer months. Appointment to see the Careers Officer can be arranged by emailing email@example.com or telephone (042) 9370200/Ext 2953.