Stewarts Hospital Services Ltd
Stewarts was established in 1869 in Dublin, as an institution to provide for the Education, Training, and Maintenance of children with mental disabilities from throughout the Island of Ireland. It derives its name from its founder, Dr Henry Hutchinson Stewart, who was born in June 1798. He was the son of a Rector of Donabate Parish, North Co. Dublin. Henry came late to medicine and took his M.D when he was 31 years of age. One year later, he married Eliza Going, a clergyman’s daughter. The couple had no children.
Dr. Stewart held several medical positions amongst them, that of local Dispensary Doctor in Co. Westmeath and later as a Medical Consultant in a Hospital in North Brunswick Street in Dublin City, which is also known as Beaumont Hospital. Amongst the patients in this Hospital, there were many elderly mentally disabled people. Henry was sensitive to their situation; and over the next ten years, he worked vigorously to assemble a Committee of several highly motivated and influential medical and business men.
The ultimate result was that, in 1869, the first 12 residents came to “Stewarts” in Palmerstown, Co. Dublin Palmerstown House was a mansion with 40 acres of land and woodlands. It had been built in 1763 by John Hely Hutchinson; and it became the seat of his son, Lord Donoughmore. The family lived there until one of their descendants; Dr Henry Hutchinson Stewart (with his dedicated Committee) procured and financed the House and the estate as a residence and refuge for the care of people with learning disabilities. When he was 71, Henry relinquished official responsibility for “Stewarts Institute”; but he continued his benevolent interest in its progress. He died in 1879 aged 81 at his home in Eccles Street, Dublin – followed 2 months later by his widow, Eliza. They are buried in Mt. Jerome Cemetery. Stewarts, more than 140 years later, remains a tribute to a man of vision, of generosity, and humanity.
Founded on egalitarian principles, Stewarts has always been committed to an ethos “of the broadest and most unsectarian character and it has a proud history of providing a nurturing, caring environment for all in our care.
In our long history since then, we have worked with our residents and day students to provide the optimum of services, promoting their individual education, well-being, dignity, good health and happiness.