Students with Disabilities
DkIT believes that all students make a valuable contribution to our community – none more so than students with a disability. We extend a warm and supportive welcome to such students and will do everything we can to help you fulfil your potential.
The Institute continually works to improve access for people with disabilities and/or specific learning difficulties to its programmes. The admissions route is the same for all applicants i.e. through the Central Applications Office.
If your disability and / or specific learning difficulty is such that it requires supplementary / alternative arrangements being made to facilitate your study, it is essential that you indicate this in the relevant section of the CAO application form. We can then invite you to discuss your requirements with us and, insofar as is possible, make the appropriate arrangements.
It is also possible to arrange a pre-entry orientation of the built environment if required. This is particularly of benefit to those with mobility and / or sensory disability.
DkIT supplementary admissions route for people with disabilities
DkIT has developed a supplementary access route for people with disabilities, who may benefit from higher education but may not meet the points required for their preferred course due to the impact of a disability on their educational performance. If deemed eligible for the scheme, applicants will receive a supplemental allocation of points of 10% of the applicants score, up to a maximum of 50 points.
The following entry criteria will apply:
- Applicants must be school leavers, under the age of 23 years at the 1st of January on the year of entry.
- Applicants must have applied to DkIT through the CAO by the 1st February deadline.
- Applicants who wish to avail of the scheme must disclose their disability and/or specific learning difficulty on their CAO Application by March 1st deadline.
- DkIT will write out to all DkIT applicants who have disclosed a disability informing them to complete the CAO supplemental information forms.
- The CAO supplemental information form and supporting documentation must be submitted to the CAO by the 1st April deadline.
- Applicants with a specific learning difficulty must have submitted a full psycho-educational assessment completed by an appropriately qualified Psychologist. The assessment must be less than 5 years old. If the tests referred to in the report have clearly been conducted using Adult scales, then the five year time limit will not apply
- Applicants with significant long term illness and other disabilities must have submitted a report from an accepted Medical Consultant/Specialist.
- Important Note: It is advisable to submit a recent report as this may detail recommendations for supports in third level.
- Applicants who submit out of date assessments will not be considered under the scheme.
- Applicants who have indicated a disability and who have not completed the supplemental forms will not be screened for eligibility under the scheme.
- Applicants must meet the minimum entry criteria for the programme to which they are applying.
- Programme quotas may apply
The Admissions Officer will inform the CAO of successful supplemental access applicants.
Offers of places in this category are made via the CAO in the normal way.
We will try wherever possible to facilitate your access and participation through (where appropriate) the provision of:
- Learning support tuition
- Personal assistants
- Speedtext operators – quality assured by Deaf/Hear
- Studyskills tuition
- Access to specialised software, e.g., Read and Write Gold
- Access to special exam arrangements
- Access to assistive technology
If you require special support to facilitate your studies, you must provide us with a letter from a consultant or specialist as evidence of a disability. If you have a specific learning difficulty, you must also provide a copy of an educational psychologist’s report issued within the last 5 years.
For general enquiries about applying to DkIT as a student with a disability, please contact: