Section 8 of the Freedom of Information Act 2014 requires bodies under the remit of the Act to prepare and publish a scheme concerning the publication of information by the body in conformity with guidelines made by the Minister. This allows for the publication or giving of records outside of FOI provided that such publication or giving of access is not prohibited by law. Bodies should publish as much information as possible in an open and accessible manner on a routine basis outside of FOI and as part of their normal business activities, having regard to the principles of openness, transparency and accountability as set out in Sections 8 (5) and 11 (3) of the Act.
Under the Act, Dundalk Institute of Technology is required that in preparing, reviewing or revising a publication scheme, it has regard to the public interest in:
- Allowing public access to information held by DkIT
- Publishing the reasons for decisions
- Publishing information of relevance or interest to the general public in relation to activities and functions in general.
Publication Methods and Review
Under the Publication Scheme, DkIT will:
- Set out information to assist members of the public in their understanding of the Institute and its functions,
- Publish the information held, grouped under the information headings as set out by the Minister (See table below),
- Explain the procedures to get access to information or advise on information held by DkIT.
The Institute is obliged to make available the publication scheme no later than six months after the commencement of Section 8 of the FOI Act 2014 – i.e., 14th April 2016. Please find DkIT’s Publication Scheme below.